Lighting upgrade - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » Lighting upgrade

Lighting upgrade

This is a discussion on Lighting upgrade within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> Originally Posted by beetlebz do you have a hood at all on the tank? on every 55g ive seen the center brace sits flush ...

Reply
Old 01-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
do you have a hood at all on the tank? on every 55g ive seen the center brace sits flush with the top and the light or hoods fit right in, or over the brace. I went nuts when I first started planting my tanks, and quantum is right. a wise forum contributor once told me many many moons ago (ill try to dig up the thread) that lighting and supplements was all about balance. High light with no co2 or supplements will fail strike, usually winding up in an algae problem. Low light with high supplements, same deal. I use low light levels (40 watts on my 110g, 30 watts on my 20L, and 36 watts on my 55g) and just a few supplements (ill have to get the name of the food he steered me towards when i get to my parents house tomorrow but i think its plant-gro) and i dose every 2nd or 3rd day with the maintenance dose of excel. Sure, some plants just dont do that well, and everything tends to grow nice and slow, But everything stays nice and green and healthy as long as im good about pruning, and plant feeding.

if you want really high light, you need supplement routine to match, and probably co2 to get the most out of it. Thats fine, but it gets costly and you pretty much need a lawn mower to keep everything cut back :P
I do have a hood on it, I just want brighter lighting. Yes, the hoods, do line up with the brace. The only reason I want to upgrade is because I want plants that need brighter light. Like swords, wisteria, etc.

Last edited by Jayy; 01-19-2012 at 09:17 PM..
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
I have a standard single wide strip light on my 55 (i think its 2 24" T8s though) And have an amazon sword thats a little larger than a basketball :O
beetlebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #13
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Yea, I'm not too worried that them. More soo of the red plants like ludwigia.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
 
the standard lighting on a split top 55 is two 15 watt T8's for a total of 30 watts over an 18" deep tank. This is very low lighting. While some can manage plants in these levels I certainly wouldn't put in the effort. Build your own light, it will save you cash and you will learn something in the process
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
the standard lighting on a split top 55 is two 15 watt T8's for a total of 30 watts over an 18" deep tank. This is very low lighting. While some can manage plants in these levels I certainly wouldn't put in the effort. Build your own light, it will save you cash and you will learn something in the process
Yea, I know that, thats what I'm upgrading from. I plan to get the single fixture double bulb 48''strip that Quantum posted. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...17&pcatid=3817

Last edited by Jayy; 01-19-2012 at 09:34 PM..
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
 
at that price I would just get a shop light for $40.... you will need the special extra wide glass tops to go with that hood.
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
at that price I would just get a shop light for $40.... you will need the special extra wide glass tops to go with that hood.
Where would I find a shop light?
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
Where would I find a shop light?
I believe Mikalia was thinking of these; this is Home Depot in Canada, but the US store will have the same:
Lithonia Lighting | 4' Shop Light | Home Depot Canada

Also available from Lowe's and similar hardware/home improvement stores. My only queston is, will this sit on the tank frame on its own? As you can see, it is intended to be hung from the ceiling which is certainly an option but I prefer fixture that sit on the tank so the light all goes into the tank rather than dispersing into my eyes as I sit in front of the tank. Mikaila will probably know the ansswer.

The glass cover goes under this, sitting down on the lip running around the tank frame on the inside.

You then need two 48-inch T8 tubes, daylight 6500K from Home Depot would work. Phillips or Sylvania, whichever they carry in the US. Phillips calls theirs Daylight Deluxe, not sure what the Sylvania name is. It will be 6500K.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I believe Mikalia was thinking of these; this is Home Depot in Canada, but the US store will have the same:
Lithonia Lighting | 4' Shop Light | Home Depot Canada

Also available from Lowe's and similar hardware/home improvement stores. My only queston is, will this sit on the tank frame on its own? As you can see, it is intended to be hung from the ceiling which is certainly an option but I prefer fixture that sit on the tank so the light all goes into the tank rather than dispersing into my eyes as I sit in front of the tank. Mikaila will probably know the ansswer.

The glass cover goes under this, sitting down on the lip running around the tank frame on the inside.

You then need two 48-inch T8 tubes, daylight 6500K from Home Depot would work. Phillips or Sylvania, whichever they carry in the US. Phillips calls theirs Daylight Deluxe, not sure what the Sylvania name is. It will be 6500K.
Yea, now knowing that, I wouldn't be able to get the shop lights. We rent, soo we can't really do anything that big. Plus I don't think my Mom would let me. So it would have to be on the tank.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
 
Just cuz they are suppose to hang doesn't mean they have to...
Mikaila31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.