Lighting questions - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Lighting questions

Hey all,

I just have a few questions maybe you guys can help me out with.

I have a 15 gallon aquarium, flourite substrate and a DIY co2 system. My question concerning lights is, i have 2 T8 tube fixtures with Glo brand Life-Glo bulbs in them, they are 18'' each at 15 watts rated at 6700k, i believe. Will this setup enable me to grow medium-high light plants. I also have a spare light fixture that has 2 CFL bulbs in it rated at 15 watts a piece and 6500k, should i use one t8 configuration in combination with the CFL bulbs or should i go with the two T8 lights?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, it seems like the extra wattage from the CFL bulbs, with a total of 30 watts, plus another 15 from a T8 tube would be better. I'm just really unsure of this stuff.

am i out of luck without having a T5 setup?

Thanks and sorry for rambling on
Christaphason is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Reference Team
 
badxgillen's Avatar
 
lights

more lumens...hmmmm i like the compacts...can you do two 27 watts...i love putting two fixtures on for 108 watts...

...........
badxgillen is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Member
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
I think that with two 15w t8 bulbs at 6700K, you should be fine for everything except the most light demanding plants. 2 watts per gallon worked really well for me for quite a while on my 30 gallon tank. Remember to use a good liquid fertilizer, and "medium light" plants should do pretty well.

I also have CF bulbs on one of my smaller planted tanks, and am experiencing record breaking growth :P If you wanted even more wattage than you are getting from the t8s, I wouldn't see a problem with putting one or both of your CF bulbs over it also. Just be prepared for algae issues with that much light.

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.


Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by DanMarion; 01-04-2011 at 11:05 AM.
DanMarion is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMarion View Post
I think that with two 15w t8 bulbs at 6700K, you should be fine for everything except the most light demanding plants. 2 watts per gallon worked really well for me for quite a while on my 30 gallon tank. Remember to use a good liquid fertilizer, and "medium light" plants should do pretty well.

I also have CF bulbs on one of my smaller planted tanks, and am experiencing record breaking growth :P If you wanted even more wattage than you are getting from the t8s, I wouldn't see a problem with putting one or both of your CF bulbs over it also. Just be prepared for algae issues with that much light.
+one for the T8 bulbs. Would try and start with as many plant's as possible. With large plant mass that is thriving,,you will have less issues with algae. Would also begin with eight hours of light and slowly increase to ten hours over weeks,months.
Worked well for me and other than diatoms when tank was first set up with plant's,I had no algae issues.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 11:47 AM
I would use the compacts over the T8s, but thats just me. I have a 15 gal set up similarly with 2x15 sprial compacts and often 1x15 watt T8. I don't run CO2 and don't have algae issue either. I'm getting my first Anubias flower in that tank along with a decent amount of pearling during the day.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
I would use the compacts over the T8s, but thats just me. I have a 15 gal set up similarly with 2x15 sprial compacts and often 1x15 watt T8. I don't run CO2 and don't have algae issue either. I'm getting my first Anubias flower in that tank along with a decent amount of pearling during the day.

Wow, nice. I've never seen a plant pearl (even in sunlight).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Wow, nice. I've never seen a plant pearl (even in sunlight).
Really. I can get it in my high tech tanks when things are trimmed back and CO2 is tuned correctly. Been a long time since it could do that. Its much slower in a lower tech tank, but you certainly don't need high tech to make a plant pearl.

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Member
 
DanMarion's Avatar
 
My Anubias plants also pearl during the day. I get random pearling from the other plants, but its definitely the Anubias that does it the most.

Dost thou love life? Then do not squander time, for that is the stuff life is made of.


Benjamin Franklin
DanMarion is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 01-04-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Thanks for all the great responses! As always this forum is a great help.
Christaphason is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lighting questions Ocarius Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 38 01-24-2009 04:16 AM
Lighting questions mikedelo Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 1 08-05-2008 02:05 AM
lighting questions devong Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 15 06-01-2008 11:17 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome