Originally Posted by Tha Bizness
I thought it was high too. Tank was setup in June. Plants added slowly since July.
I changed the timer to a 8hr schedule. I am assuming a week should be good to see if it halts the algae growth?
Will MTS eat this type of algae?
MTS meaning Malaysian Livebearing snails, then no; they (like all snails) graze on algae minimally but can't handle it when it is this rampant. None of the so-called algae-eating fish will touch it either, except two but they are both not advisable except in specific setups as they get large. Brush algae has to be controlled by balancing light and nutrients so the plants use them.
You might see a change in a week, or certainly two. Again, it is just noticing no increase, or very little increase, in the algae. I never bother this on wood or rock, it looks very natural; it is when I see it on plants that I take action. A bit is OK, you cannot keep the tank free of algae. You aim for the balance to keep it under control.
I asked about the new tank because in a new tank for the first say 2-3 months, the biology is settling into a balanced state and algae being quick to take advantage can often appear during this period. Once the tank is biologically stable, it is easier to then balance the light and nutrients for the plants. Algae will be out of luck then.
You'll still see it, as I say, but not excessively--unless something upsets the balance. I have had brush algae suddenly increase in summer when the days are longer and brighter, just from the additional ambient light in the room. I've also had it increase when the tubes over the tank were no longer emitting sufficient intensity, which is usually after 12 months with T8, T5 should be a bit longer.