Just bought my first few live plants - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Talking Just bought my first few live plants

Ok, I finally got my canister filter and got the current level to where I wanted. So, I was checking out my local Petco store and they had an aquarium set up with a bunch of plants in it. All looked really good with no signs of algae or snails. So, I bought me a bunch of Wisteria and a potted Echinodorus Paniculatus (Amazon Sword Bleheri). I only got a one of each to see what they looked like in the tank. Man they look so much cooler than the fake stuff .

I have a question on my wisteria. Currently it has a pretty long stem to it. I was wanting to cut the stem about half way down and then plant it in the substrate. Any problems with doing this? Right now it is bunched together and kind of floating around. Plan on getting some Water Sprite for my floating plants.

This a low light 50 gallon tank set up btw
kmiceray is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Wisteria is a stem plant, so you can cut the stem at any point and stick the cut end in the substrate. Leave a couple inches for burying to ensure it is held down. The plant will continue to grow upward.

Wisteria requires a fair bit of light or it will get very spindly--the lower leaves will fall off leaving bare stems with the leafy part at the top closest to the light. I have no success with this plant as I have insufficient light for it. It may or may not do this, but if it does, a good stem plant would be Brazilian Pennywort; it is one of the few stem plants that manage with moderate light.

Water Sprite is an ideal floating plant. I have this in several tanks.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Wisteria is a stem plant, so you can cut the stem at any point and stick the cut end in the substrate. Leave a couple inches for burying to ensure it is held down. The plant will continue to grow upward.

Wisteria requires a fair bit of light or it will get very spindly--the lower leaves will fall off leaving bare stems with the leafy part at the top closest to the light. I have no success with this plant as I have insufficient light for it. It may or may not do this, but if it does, a good stem plant would be Brazilian Pennywort; it is one of the few stem plants that manage with moderate light.

Water Sprite is an ideal floating plant. I have this in several tanks.

Byron.
Thanks Byron. I will give it a shot....heck it was only 2 bucks for a bushel of them. I really like that Brazilian Pennywort but I could not find it anywhere in the houston area. I guess I will have to get online to get some. However, I was glad to of found some Water Sprite today. I got 3 good bushels of them and I have them floating right now. It amazes me how much the floating plants help. Already the colors of my neons look better. Plus my betta has fallen in love it seems hahah
kmiceray is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Inga's Avatar
 
It is amazing how much different Wisteria looks once it is in my tank from how it looked in the store. I actually planted it in a few different spots in my tanks. In the smaller plant tank, it looks pretty full and in the other is ist just a spindly looking plant. Not to impressive but I still kind of like it.

Congrats on making the leap to real plants. The difference is amazing, isn't it?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Mahatma Gandhi
Inga is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inga View Post
It is amazing how much different Wisteria looks once it is in my tank from how it looked in the store. I actually planted it in a few different spots in my tanks. In the smaller plant tank, it looks pretty full and in the other is ist just a spindly looking plant. Not to impressive but I still kind of like it.

Congrats on making the leap to real plants. The difference is amazing, isn't it?
It is amazing! The tank has already looked so awesome buy adding a few simple plants. Actually this evening I think I have spent maybe 2 hours just looking at it and getting a game plan on where I want plants to be in the tank. It is so much easier doing that with them sitting around in the tank.

I will give that Wisteria a try but I think I have plans on other plants if it doesn't do much.

Oh, today I found me some awesome angelfish at a local aquarium place. They are pretty decent sized and they look so cool! I am going to get my plants going better and also get the water parameters to where I want them before going to get them. Cant wait though ....Love your angels
kmiceray is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiceray View Post
Thanks Byron. I will give it a shot....heck it was only 2 bucks for a bushel of them. I really like that Brazilian Pennywort but I could not find it anywhere in the houston area. I guess I will have to get online to get some. However, I was glad to of found some Water Sprite today. I got 3 good bushels of them and I have them floating right now. It amazes me how much the floating plants help. Already the colors of my neons look better. Plus my betta has fallen in love it seems hahah
This is music to my ears indeed. Provide fish with the environment they expect, and the result can be amazing. B.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bought Marineland LED kit, am I out of luck for live plants? farmerjane Beginner Planted Aquarium 15 01-12-2011 07:54 PM
I'm in a bit of a mess with some plants I bought today~ lostperspective Beginner Planted Aquarium 21 08-31-2010 12:25 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome