Incandescent Hood + Showcase Bulbs? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-26-2013, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Incandescent Hood + Showcase Bulbs?

I have a ten gallon tank with marbled crayfish in it. I have a cheap hood from Meijer that is only rated 15 W and who knows what the actually bulb is. The algae is an ugly brown and I would prefer green.

So two questions,
With these two of these in a different hood: http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Marina-25-Watt-Showcase-2-Pack/dp/B0002AQMOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1361940313&sr=1-1&keywords=marina+25+watt
1) Will these at least give me green algae?
2) If in the future, I want to grow some low light plants with this hood, would this be possible?
Hankj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 05:52 AM
Member
 
MoneyMitch's Avatar
 
hard to tell what K these bulbs are, ur algae is brown cause there isnt enough light, i would upgrade to a flourecent hood with a life glow 6.5k bulb this should be sufficent for some javas in a 10 gal.
MoneyMitch is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Member
 
fish monger's Avatar
 
Maybe try some daylight CFLs in your current hood.

Fishmonger
fish monger is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyMitch View Post
hard to tell what K these bulbs are, ur algae is brown cause there isnt enough light, i would upgrade to a flourecent hood with a life glow 6.5k bulb this should be sufficent for some javas in a 10 gal.
I am using a fluorescent hood and its not doing the trick. It's only 15 W and I don't know what the bulb is. I also have this incandescent hood on hand rated at 50 W.
Hankj is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish monger View Post
Maybe try some daylight CFLs in your current hood.
The current hood is fluorescent tube. I have not tried the hagen hood on this tank yet. I'm asking if two 25 W "showcase" bulbs will be enough light for green algae.
Hankj is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankj View Post
I am using a fluorescent hood and its not doing the trick. It's only 15 W and I don't know what the bulb is. I also have this incandescent hood on hand rated at 50 W.

I actually like using the old incandescent hoods. I just use the wall mart GE 6500k spiral screw in compact flourescent bulbs designed to replace incandescent bulbs. A couple of 10w bulbs would be more then enough for a 10g. Last time I checked they were ~$6 or so.

Tank looks great and plants do well also.


my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Oh okay I get it now. I didn't know what K was but I at least understand what you are talking about now.

Well I can get my hands on free Marina bulbs as well as the Aqua Glo bulbs. The Aqua Glo's description on some sites says "helps plants grow."

I will try them out and if not I will spend a few bucks on the pig tails.

Thanks a lot everyone!
MoneyMitch likes this.
Hankj is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
agree with beaslbob, those incandescents may be higher watts, but most of that is lost as heat and not converted to light, the sprial fluorescents at lower wattage will still produce more useful light energy
Quantum is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 01:12 AM
Member
 
Aurie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankj View Post
Oh okay I get it now. I didn't know what K was but I at least understand what you are talking about now.

Well I can get my hands on free Marina bulbs as well as the Aqua Glo bulbs. The Aqua Glo's description on some sites says "helps plants grow."

I will try them out and if not I will spend a few bucks on the pig tails.

Thanks a lot everyone!
When I first went to a t8 I got a "GE Aquarium/Plant" bulb and it didn't have the K rating anywhere on the bulb. After an algae fest I did some research online and turns out it's just 3500k .. careful of the claims

these ones work GREAT and fit in the standard 2 bulb 10 gallon hood.. I'm using the 23 watt version in a 29 gallon 30" hood that I retrofitted

Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 13-Watt (60W) Spiral Medium Base Daylight (6500K) CFL Bulbs at Lowes.com
Aurie is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurie View Post
When I first went to a t8 I got a "GE Aquarium/Plant" bulb and it didn't have the K rating anywhere on the bulb. After an algae fest I did some research online and turns out it's just 3500k .. careful of the claims

these ones work GREAT and fit in the standard 2 bulb 10 gallon hood.. I'm using the 23 watt version in a 29 gallon 30" hood that I retrofitted

Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 13-Watt (60W) Spiral Medium Base Daylight (6500K) CFL Bulbs at Lowes.com

+1

Excellent example of what I'm talking about. Only $7 for two bubls and available locally here also.

Another example:
GE Energy Smart Spiral CFL Daylight Bulb, 15W, 12 Bulbs: Decor : Walmart.com

Just so you will know what the package looks like at your local wall mart. Only use the 13w not the 20w in the lnik and the price is for 6 bulbs not a single package. Single packages of the 13w have 2 bulbs. I just couldn't find that on line.

I also sae 6500k with the build-in reflectors. Which I used for sump/refugiums in my marine tanks. With those you don't need the round clip on reflectors. Just use a socket and place above the tank.

my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting incandescent hood to flourescent mollie Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 8 02-06-2010 11:09 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome