How to prevent MTS
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » How to prevent MTS

How to prevent MTS

This is a discussion on How to prevent MTS within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> Well i'm buying some plants from a dude today, about 30 plants for $10, and i really need a "filler" in my tank for ...

Reply
Old 06-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
 
mjbn's Avatar
 
How to prevent MTS

Well i'm buying some plants from a dude today, about 30 plants for $10, and i really need a "filler" in my tank for a good price. Theo nly thing is that he has MTS in there, as well as assassin snails. Is there any "remedy" i can use to kill them before planting them? I've heard about aquarium salt in a tub and swish the plant around for 20 seconds, but idk about that yet. Any like household items/remedies to get rid of any chance of snail growth in my tank?:O

PS I have no snails in my tank and i really want to keep it that waaay):
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
As planted tank authority Rhonda Wilson has written, any thing strong enough to "kill" snails or snail eggs on plants will have to be strong enough to kill the plant. Forget that.

Is there some reason you have an aversion to snails, especially Malaysian Livebearing snails? These in my view are one of an aquarium's best friends. They get into spots where you cannot possibly get, especially the substrate, and provide a valuable service breaking down organics into smaller bits that the bacteria can then handle, and this becomes nutrients for the plants.

I have hundreds of MLS in my tanks, and wouldn't want it any other way.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
 
mjbn's Avatar
 
Honestly, I just have this weird phobia of snails.. Haha
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
Honestly, I just have this weird phobia of snails.. Haha
If you want a healthier aquarium and fish, try to get over it.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
 
mjbn's Avatar
 
So i found another deal, a bigger variety of plants with red cherry shrimp for $10 as well. Only thing with this one is that the tank has pond snails-_- I definately don't what these little dudes in my tanks. I'm thinking about getting the plants, buying a couple clown loaches (only loaches i know are available in my area) from petsmart, and letting them go in my 20G for the 14 days i have till i can return them since they will grow waaay too big for my tanks. I want some smaller loaches but i cannot find them anywhere in San Jose. I'm willing to order online if anyone has extras, but i don't have a lot to spend.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
 
Assassin snails are easy to control as they only lay an egg at a time. It's also one of the few snails IMHO that people who love them can't get enough of and many would love to pay the shipping to get them off your hands(tank). I love assassin snails, but as you said you don't like snails. You might change your mind after you see an assassin snail track down a pond or MTS and do its thing or not. You could also quarantine your plants for a day or two in a bowl and rinse the plants really well and try to get any eggs off the plants before you stick it in your tank. That should help.
When I read the title to your thread I first thought MTS (multi-tank-syndrome). Why would you want to prevent that as I have a pretty bad case of MTS.
Plantedshrimptank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #7
 
alysalouise's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantedshrimptank View Post
Assassin snails are easy to control as they only lay an egg at a time. It's also one of the few snails IMHO that people who love them can't get enough of and many would love to pay the shipping to get them off your hands(tank). I love assassin snails, but as you said you don't like snails. You might change your mind after you see an assassin snail track down a pond or MTS and do its thing or not. You could also quarantine your plants for a day or two in a bowl and rinse the plants really well and try to get any eggs off the plants before you stick it in your tank. That should help.
When I read the title to your thread I first thought MTS (multi-tank-syndrome). Why would you want to prevent that as I have a pretty bad case of MTS.



I thought the same thing when i read the title to the thread
i thought maybe the question was gonna be how not to get it
alysalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 AM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
So i found another deal, a bigger variety of plants with red cherry shrimp for $10 as well. Only thing with this one is that the tank has pond snails-_- I definately don't what these little dudes in my tanks. I'm thinking about getting the plants, buying a couple clown loaches (only loaches i know are available in my area) from petsmart, and letting them go in my 20G for the 14 days i have till i can return them since they will grow waaay too big for my tanks. I want some smaller loaches but i cannot find them anywhere in San Jose. I'm willing to order online if anyone has extras, but i don't have a lot to spend.
This is a practice I do not recommend. It is very hard (and thus cruel) on the fish. Never buy a fish unless you intend to keep it and can provide what it needs for not only now but its life. Loaches can live for more than 10 years. Loaches are highly social fish, they have a remarkable interaction between members of the group and there should never be less than 5 of them. To try and put this is perspective, imagine how you would feel locked in a small room with no contact with family. It is very stressful on the fish.

Aside from that, capturing fish is also highly stressful. And loaches are one of the most difficult of fish to catch. They also succumb readily to parasites, especially ich, caused by stress. And being "naked" (no scales) they cannot tolerate medications well. So this is more trouble.

Please research your fish and respect their requirements. They are living creatures.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #9
 
mjbn's Avatar
 
I completely agree with you, that is the only reason why I'm trying to look for a smaller loach that i could keep permanently. I already have 5 kuhlis&i love them! if it were not for the growth of the clowns, id alrrady have some. But sorry for the misunderstanding, I have never bought a fish for "temporary" keeps&i dont want to because I knoow ill be attached to them, but it was kinda just an idea/last resort kinda thought. I've been making alot of phone calls to LFS asking if they have any other loaches, but its still a work in progress.
mjbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbn View Post
I completely agree with you, that is the only reason why I'm trying to look for a smaller loach that i could keep permanently. I already have 5 kuhlis&i love them! if it were not for the growth of the clowns, id alrrady have some. But sorry for the misunderstanding, I have never bought a fish for "temporary" keeps&i dont want to because I knoow ill be attached to them, but it was kinda just an idea/last resort kinda thought. I've been making alot of phone calls to LFS asking if they have any other loaches, but its still a work in progress.
I have waited months and even years for certain species I wanted. Plan ahead for them, then when they do become available, you are ready.

If this is a 20g as was mentioned in one post, none of the Botia and related species are suitable anyway. In a 20g long the Dwarf Loach and Banded Dwarf Loach would work. I have both in a 29g (30 inch length, same as the 20g long) and I am thinking they should go into a larger space.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.