Help with melting plants & plant trouble - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 04-26-2014, 03:57 AM
Could someone identify this plant pls
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 26-04-14 at 6.55 PM #3.jpg (57.7 KB, 19 views)
Cichlidsrule102 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 20 Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 AM
another pic of lower down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 26-04-14 at 6.55 PM.jpg (59.9 KB, 19 views)
Cichlidsrule102 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 04-26-2014, 03:59 AM
Sorry op for hijacking your thread, lol
Cichlidsrule102 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 04-28-2014, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
Haha! No problem. And that plant looks a lot like a plant I got from my lfs that they labeled as a 'temple plant'. Sorry I'm not very helpful.

Also, thanks for your response! What you said makes a lot of sense. I've also done a lot of reading and research. Like you, I took my airstone out as well. I think, as of right now, lighting might be my biggest issue. I think my 1 bulb T8 just isn't doing it and getting enough light around the whole tank and down to the bottom. I'm going to try something else out and see if it improves. I also ordered a handful of plants from online and I'm seeing how they work in my water. A lot of trial and error.

ShukiAi is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 02:23 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShukiAi View Post
Haha! No problem. And that plant looks a lot like a plant I got from my lfs that they labeled as a 'temple plant'. Sorry I'm not very helpful.

Also, thanks for your response! What you said makes a lot of sense. I've also done a lot of reading and research. Like you, I took my airstone out as well. I think, as of right now, lighting might be my biggest issue. I think my 1 bulb T8 just isn't doing it and getting enough light around the whole tank and down to the bottom. I'm going to try something else out and see if it improves. I also ordered a handful of plants from online and I'm seeing how they work in my water. A lot of trial and error.
A lot of trial an error, I hear that! I've been having the same issue, upgrading my lights as well. Good luck!
ShukiAi likes this.
namaste is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
Thank you!
I actually went out and bought 3 $5.00 clip lamps from walmart along with 3 6,500k daylight compact fluorescent bulbs (total about $25) and have them on my tank now. And WOW is the tank SO much brighter. The light is getting all the way down to the substrate and it looks fantastic. We'll see how the plants like it. :P


Last edited by ShukiAi; 04-30-2014 at 06:41 PM.
ShukiAi is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShukiAi View Post
Thank you!
I actually went out and bought 3 $5.00 clip lamps from walmart along with 3 6,500k daylight compact fluorescent bulbs (total about $25) and have them on my tank now. And WOW is the tank SO much brighter. The light is getting all the way down to the substrate and it looks fantastic. We'll see how the plants like it. :P
Whats the depth for your 30 gallon? I've got a 29 and that's my biggest issue is getting light down deep enough. I've got a T5HO on the way. What kind of wattage do the clip lamps emit?
namaste is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste View Post
Whats the depth for your 30 gallon? I've got a 29 and that's my biggest issue is getting light down deep enough. I've got a T5HO on the way. What kind of wattage do the clip lamps emit?
I think the depth is close to a 29 gallon - I'd say around 18" or so? The wattage of the bulbs I got are 26 watts. I don't know about the lamp itself, but this is what I got: Mainstays Clip Lamp, Black: Decor : Walmart.com If the wattage of the lamp is less than the bulb, is that a bad thing? Sorry, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to all this tech stuff.

ShukiAi is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 PM
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShukiAi View Post
I think the depth is close to a 29 gallon - I'd say around 18" or so? The wattage of the bulbs I got are 26 watts. I don't know about the lamp itself, but this is what I got: Mainstays Clip Lamp, Black: Decor : Walmart.com If the wattage of the lamp is less than the bulb, is that a bad thing? Sorry, I'm a complete idiot when it comes to all this tech stuff.
I'm on my phone at the moment not the computer so I'll have to come back and check that out but I'm not too familiar with the tech stuff either, but I do know that the fixture should have a safety rating like "do not exceed X watts"
Posted via Mobile Device
namaste is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
So the lamps say not to exceed 13 watts. Hmmm >_>;

ShukiAi is offline  
Reply

Tags
melting , plant care , plant help

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plant trouble!!!! Melting KSASTER2 Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 06-05-2010 07:41 PM
Broad-leafed plant melting? DappleDoxieGirl Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 04-20-2010 12:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome