11-26-2011, 07:10 PM
| || |
I agree with Mikaila.
There is only one thing that causes algae, and that is light, period. If the light is insufficient to balance nutrients for the plants, the plants will slow their photosynthesis (and may even stop) and algae takes advantage. Reducing light to what will balance the nutrients for the plants will keep algae minimal.
I have had outbreaks of brush algae three times in the past few years. In two of these, reducing the light [either by limiting ambient light from the windows in summer or reducing the tank light duration period] solved it; in the other case, the tubes needed replacing.
And I would not use 18000K lights exclusively; the lack of red will be detrimental to aquatic plants. A mix of red and blue such as one usually gets in the 6000K-7000K range is best, and it can be supplemented with a higher blue tube for a cooler crisp white.
Last edited by Byron; 11-26-2011 at 07:12 PM..