Floating plants making a mess of things. - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
nawilson89's Avatar
 
Floating plants making a mess of things.

Hello all.
I recently purchased a floating plant from a local pet store (i think its a water sprite) to give some shelter to my betta and shade for my cories in my 29g community tank. I loves it and swims through it all the time, but my problem is that when it floats over toward the filter it naturally gets washed down with the current. When it goes down it separates into smaller parts and then disperses around the tank making a huge mess by getting caught in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Is there any way to keep the plant from getting washed all over the place?
nawilson89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Andarial's Avatar
 
You could try and get a baffle? It's often what bettas need anyway to help them with the current flow of the filter, a baffle is something that slows the current of the filter by blocking it and forcing the water to flow around it. I'm not sure if this would help but perhaps it could? If you have a conventional filter, there is a way to create a baffle for it out of a water bottle. But I don't know what kind of filter you have. Do you have any pics of it? In case you think this could help

40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw
25 Gallon
~2 Dwarf Puffer- Sidney and Cairo, 4 Amano Shrimp, 4 Blue Pearl Shrimp, 4 Yellow Cherry Shrimp, 2 Mandarin Cherry Shrimp, Too many RCS, 4 Crystal Red Shrimp, 4- Otos

5 gallon
~White/Teal/Red Betta- Phantom, Snails

25 Gallon
~Leopard Gecko- Desert Rose
Andarial is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
nawilson89's Avatar
 
I dont have my camera at the moment, but i shall upload a picture of it tomorrow.
nawilson89 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
can you raise the water level so that the water doesn't splash down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
Hello all.
I recently purchased a floating plant from a local pet store (i think its a water sprite) to give some shelter to my betta and shade for my cories in my 29g community tank. I loves it and swims through it all the time, but my problem is that when it floats over toward the filter it naturally gets washed down with the current. When it goes down it separates into smaller parts and then disperses around the tank making a huge mess by getting caught in the plants at the bottom of the tank.

Is there any way to keep the plant from getting washed all over the place?
I have had this issue as well and what I have done is left the floating plants as far away from the filter as possible. I anchored a small end to the heater (just by putting it behind it. I have hornwort) and it is holding in place and doing fine.

On another tank the current is strong but the plants seem to have found a spot that they dont move from without my help. If you filter is near the center. try moving it towards one side.
Termato is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
nawilson89's Avatar
 
Thanks for the help. Im not able to upload a picture because I cant find the cord to my camera.

Though I have do have the filter off to the side. It seems that though i put the plants in a corner they slowly float to the filter and then the problem seems to happen over and over again. For now I have moved the plant into a small vase with water until i can figure something out.

It actually a group of small plants clumped together. A friend of mine suggested tying them together with fishing line and then attaching them with a suction cup.
nawilson89 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Member
 
Termato's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawilson89 View Post
Thanks for the help. Im not able to upload a picture because I cant find the cord to my camera.

Though I have do have the filter off to the side. It seems that though i put the plants in a corner they slowly float to the filter and then the problem seems to happen over and over again. For now I have moved the plant into a small vase with water until i can figure something out.

It actually a group of small plants clumped together. A friend of mine suggested tying them together with fishing line and then attaching them with a suction cup.
You could also try adding more plants up there. It could help.

More plants at the top might lower the water movement at the top. That could allow for a harder surface and keep the plants up.

Last edited by Termato; 04-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Termato is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Member
 
Andarial's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termato View Post
You could also try adding more plants up there. It could help.

More plants at the top might lower the water movement at the top. That could allow for a harder surface and keep the plants up.
This is something like a baffle only natural, could work quite well ^^

40 gallon with 13 hermit crabs- 11 PPs, 1 E, 1 Straw
25 Gallon
~2 Dwarf Puffer- Sidney and Cairo, 4 Amano Shrimp, 4 Blue Pearl Shrimp, 4 Yellow Cherry Shrimp, 2 Mandarin Cherry Shrimp, Too many RCS, 4 Crystal Red Shrimp, 4- Otos

5 gallon
~White/Teal/Red Betta- Phantom, Snails

25 Gallon
~Leopard Gecko- Desert Rose
Andarial is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm in a bit of a mess with some plants I bought today~ lostperspective Beginner Planted Aquarium 21 08-31-2010 11:25 AM
HELP!!! I am making a mess of my new plants Inga Beginner Planted Aquarium 28 07-16-2010 12:55 PM
Just planted new plants...huge mess. Herky Beginner Planted Aquarium 10 09-27-2009 12:01 PM
key things on making a fw tank into a planted fw SeaSerpant Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 16 03-01-2008 12:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome