First planted tank aquascape
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » First planted tank aquascape

First planted tank aquascape

This is a discussion on First planted tank aquascape within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> My plants finally came in yesterday, I got them planted this morning. I had an idea in my head and this is how it ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
First planted tank aquascape
Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
First planted tank aquascape

My plants finally came in yesterday, I got them planted this morning. I had an idea in my head and this is how it turned out. If you have any opinion or suggestions i would like to hear them.

lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Nice - I particularly like your driftwood arrangement, especially the vertical dimension!
DKRST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
 
SomeDudeAtHome's Avatar
 
Looks very nice I think you did a great job. That's also a great looking piece of driftwood! My only suggestion would be to move the Anubius down some. It's a low-light slow-growing plant and being that close to the light may encourage algae growth on it and may also turn the leaves brown from exposure to too much light.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
 
lorax84's Avatar
 
I was thinking the same thing about the Anubais, I only put it there because it fit in the crack in the wood well. The driftwood was a great find, I happened to stop my LFS as the were pricing their shipment and was able to look through everything they had just gotten. It was well worth the $20 I paid for it.
lorax84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Agree, aside from the Anubias at the top of the wood, looks good. I would move the Anubias to the back of the wood close to the substrate. There is a plant stuck in the wood at the back, not sure what that is, but the Anubias there is better. Not only away from the light, which is very important, but as it grows (slowly) it will grow up and out along the rhizome. I had one small A. nana a few years ago that was stuck in the back corner and it grew to be 2 feet in length, along the back of the tank.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
There is a plant stuck in the wood at the back, not sure what that is, but the Anubias there is better.
That plant is Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (Lace Java fern) and it'll grow really well no matter where you put it on your wood, at least it does in my tanks. I agree, your tank looks good, it'll be nice to see when it all fills in. Have you given any thought to adding a background to your tank??
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
That plant is Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (Lace Java fern) and it'll grow really well no matter where you put it on your wood, at least it does in my tanks. I agree, your tank looks good, it'll be nice to see when it all fills in. Have you given any thought to adding a background to your tank??
Yes. It didn't seem dark enough for Microsorium, but of course these are new plants and thus likely to be much lighter. [It looks like celery tops to me.] I would stick that on the front part of the wood, next to the substrate (right side), even wedge it under the wood is fine.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Yes. It didn't seem dark enough for Microsorium, but of course these are new plants and thus likely to be much lighter. [It looks like celery tops to me.] I would stick that on the front part of the wood, next to the substrate (right side), even wedge it under the wood is fine.
Celery tops. I like it! I think that should be the plant's new name. I love this plant because it does such a great job of taking hold of the wood and rooting quickly, and in no time doubles it's growth. I go in and tear off big chunks and it doesn't affect the plant in the least. I notice when they are new they are taller and lighter green. After time they get darker and instead of growing tall they seem to want to spread out.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Celery tops. I like it! I think that should be the plant's new name. I love this plant because it does such a great job of taking hold of the wood and rooting quickly, and in no time doubles it's growth. I go in and tear off big chunks and it doesn't affect the plant in the least. I notice when they are new they are taller and lighter green. After time they get darker and instead of growing tall they seem to want to spread out.
There is a photo of this variety in our profile of this species...can't pass up an opportunity to mention the profiles.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
There is a photo of this variety in our profile of this species...can't pass up an opportunity to mention the profiles.
Exactly why I typed it in as I did in my first post, to get that blue box highlight around it!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New and possible final Aquascape mxgalaxy Freshwater Journals 10 03-27-2011 11:10 AM
new aquascape SinCrisis Freshwater Journals 13 02-08-2011 07:46 PM
10 g Aquascape help ForestGupp705 Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 11-23-2010 05:17 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Cichlids 7 03-02-2009 03:49 PM
Transition from 45 gallon non-planted community tank to larger, planted, discus tank borkborkbork Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 0 02-23-2009 01:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.