Cyanobacteria: gearing up for the TOTAL blackout - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Member
 
cmc29's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
I just want to go back to the way it was! Two years and all of a sudden?? I don't get it. Something, obviously, has changed, but I don't know what. I do not want to have to go the CO2 route, that I do know. Still trying to figure out how everything got so out of balance here... *sniffs*

An amateur? You got rid of cyano, are running CO2 and have an algae free tank. Amateurs can't to that!!

I wouldn't say algae free..lol..but minimal algae. I get some green spot that i keep wiped off every water change. If i miss a few weeks i notice a little green spots, which i wipe off.

Just a question: do you have any cabomba or from that family in your tank?
It seems like that was where i noticed the cyano first when i had it in my tank.
cmc29 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:17 PM
i wish there was something that ate this stuff, its gotta occur naturally in nature, how does mother earth get rid of it? I want algae in my tank, like the good stuff, diatoms, green algae, even fuzz algae i want. But i just get BGA all the time and im really confused as to why this one appears of all the possible algae in my tank.

Aunt Kymmie, are you getting any other type of algae in excess too? or is it just the BGA? If its just BGA, then maybe theres a unique trait to BGA that allow it to thrive where other algaes cannot?
SinCrisis is offline  
post #13 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc29 View Post
I wouldn't say algae free..lol..but minimal algae. I get some green spot that i keep wiped off every water change. If i miss a few weeks i notice a little green spots, which i wipe off.

Just a question: do you have any cabomba or from that family in your tank?
It seems like that was where i noticed the cyano first when i had it in my tank.
No, not in this tank. In this tank I have a variety of Anubias, Crypts (Byron had mentioned the relationship of Crypts and cyano in that other thread), Ludwigia, Red and Green Tiger Lotus, Pennywort, Hygrophilia angustifolia, Hygrophilia corymbosa. I don't think any of those are "related" to Cabomba??

So, what do you think of my idea of getting a UV Sterilizer?? It wouldn't hurt, would it??

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #14 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
i wish there was something that ate this stuff, its gotta occur naturally in nature, how does mother earth get rid of it? I want algae in my tank, like the good stuff, diatoms, green algae, even fuzz algae i want. But i just get BGA all the time and im really confused as to why this one appears of all the possible algae in my tank.

Aunt Kymmie, are you getting any other type of algae in excess too? or is it just the BGA? If its just BGA, then maybe theres a unique trait to BGA that allow it to thrive where other algaes cannot?
There is actually another algae that has started and I'm told it's an algae that feeds off of cyano which would explain why it's now in my tank. I don't know what it's called but it looks like black soot. It appears next to the areas where the cyano is. Doesn't my tank just sound lovely??

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #15 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Here's a picture of this "grossness" that I'm referrng to, it's disgusting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (96.6 KB, 38 views)

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #16 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Interesting, thats the stuff i find UNDER my BGA when i suction it off my stuff, it also comes up quite easily with the bga. I know that some plants secrete alleochemicals against BGA such as Anachris and hornwort, but adding anachris to my tank just added another surface for my bga.

I keep a bunch of small crypts in my tank also, perhaps theres research on the relationship of crypts to cyano?

My cyano does not grow on or near my crypts though, its mostly on my swords and watersprite..
SinCrisis is offline  
post #17 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
LOL, I love how the ads that pop up are always related to what we are talking about. So this one popped up and maybe I'll have to try this??

Algae_Slime

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #18 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCrisis View Post
Interesting, thats the stuff i find UNDER my BGA when i suction it off my stuff, it also comes up quite easily with the bga. I know that some plants secrete alleochemicals against BGA such as Anachris and hornwort, but adding anachris to my tank just added another surface for my bga.

I keep a bunch of small crypts in my tank also, perhaps theres research on the relationship of crypts to cyano?

My cyano does not grow on or near my crypts though, its mostly on my swords and watersprite..
My crypts are the most vulnerable, in my tank it seems.
Right now I'm seeing more of this "stuff", than I am the cyano. I wish I knew what the heck to do. I can see why people throw their hands up and hit the tank with algaecides.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
post #19 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Member
 
cmc29's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
There is actually another algae that has started and I'm told it's an algae that feeds off of cyano which would explain why it's now in my tank. I don't know what it's called but it looks like black soot. It appears next to the areas where the cyano is. Doesn't my tank just sound lovely??

My wonderful and wise mama always says "be careful what you wish for." What you have, sounds exactly like what i had. It's slimey, i coats on the glass and substrate. You can wipe it off with your fingers, and it reeks.. I used my net to "scoop" it out of the plants. The problem is that it kinda flies everywhere. I know you won't like seeing all the stuff floating around in your tank.

Do you have a tank you can house your Discus for a few days? If you do and if it were my tank: I would house them elsewhere, do the blackout and have your tank back. Your plants will be fine, and will welcome a few days of darkness, it'll be like a solar eclipse in nature.

I put off and put off and cleaned it up and cleaned it up...until i did the blackout. I'm not saying it won't come back, but at least it'll stop spreading and buy you time to see how balanced your tank is.IMO

about your uv sterilizer idea; i don't see many people that have been using them on freshwater. It kinda seems like overkill, with the plants. But with the algae issues...i'm curious. That being said: IMO as long as it doesn't kill the beneficial bacteria it would be fine. You have got me interested on the idea, and i'm doing a little research on the process.

Last edited by cmc29; 01-11-2011 at 06:39 PM.
cmc29 is offline  
post #20 of 56 Old 01-11-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Member
 
aunt kymmie's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc29 View Post
My wonderful and wise mama always says "be careful what you wish for." What you have, sounds exactly like what i had. It's slimey, i coats on the glass and substrate. You can wipe it off with your fingers, and it reeks.. I used my net to "scoop" it out of the plants. The problem is that it kinda flies everywhere. I know you won't like seeing all the stuff floating around in your tank.

Do you have a tank you can house your Discus for a few days? If you do and if it were my tank: I would house them elsewhere, do the blackout and have your tank back. Your plants will be fine, and will welcome a few days of darkness, it'll be like a solar eclipse in nature.

I put off and put off and cleaned it up and cleaned it up...until i did the blackout. I'm not saying it won't come back, but at least it'll stop spreading and buy you time to see how balanced your tank is.IMO

about your uv sterilizer idea; i don't see many people that have been using them on freshwater. It kinda seems like overkill, with the plants. But with the algae issues...i'm curious. That being said: IMO as long as it doesn't kill the beneficial bacteria it would be fine. You have got me interested on the idea, and i'm doing a little research on the process.
I think your mama and my mama went to the same school! lol
I do not have another place I can "tank" my Discus but I know they can handle a black out and go without food, no problem. Knock wood, they are a healthy bunch.
I think the thing that is the most frustrating, BEYOND the most frustrating, is that all my tanks are planted, maintained and feed the same, lighting schedules, etc., everything is the same! Why the heck am I having problems with this one!! Why couldn't it have been one of the littler ones?? Waaa Waaa Waaa. Ok, I'll stop crying now.

If you don't stand up for something you'll fall for anything...
aunt kymmie is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blackout Hawkian Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 03-18-2010 10:17 AM
Cyanobacteria? Hawkian Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 12-07-2009 08:10 AM
Blackout Method - Anyone try it? satwood Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 04-23-2008 06:02 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome