Cryptocoryne spiralis - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cryptocoryne spiralis

I have cryptocoryne in spiralis in my 10 gallon, 15 watt tank for about 2 months now. it grows long and i see runners growing but the problem im having is with its leaves... the ents of the leaves tend to gradually rot and there seems to be brown spots on the leaves. is my lighting not high enough for them?

the substrate is flourite. I dose with flourish once a week.

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Try getting it some root tabs.


If it doesn't help, you may increase your light... but I use 20W over a 10, and I'm not sure that 5W difference would kill a crypt... Maybe someone else can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
As we were discussing via PM, can you post a photo of the leaf with the brown spots and tips?

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
sorry for the bad quality :(

can you see the yellowish brown spots on the leaves?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crypt.jpg (28.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Parva.jpg (32.0 KB, 35 views)

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I would suggest some floating plants. Also, increase the Flourish to twice weekly from once.

Crypts can be fussy plants. I have had them doing fine for months, then not.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I would suggest some floating plants. Also, increase the Flourish to twice weekly from once.

Crypts can be fussy plants. I have had them doing fine for months, then not.

are you recommending lower lights?

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
oh and i put 5 drops of flourish in this tank also. is that enough?

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Flourish: don't know. I use the ml/gal formula, so in a 30g 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) is the dose. In my 10g I dose about 1/4 tsp twice weekly. I was doing less but the plants haven't been as good as in the other tank, but that could also be related to the light--my 10g was the "experiment" in a window, but as of yesterday has a hood light. I would use 1/4 tsp twice weekly.

But the light may be more the issue. The fact that your stem plants are growing well suggests it is brighter than the crypts may need. But at this stage the best way to deal with that is to shade the crypts a bit, and floating plants work well. Even a stem plant like Pennywort allowed to float will do, at little expense. And it is easily controlled to keep it open above the stem plants.

My C. spiralis in my 70g has some yellowing leaves now and then, but new growth continues so I haven't bothered. As I mentioned, crypts are fussy plants.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Flourish: don't know. I use the ml/gal formula, so in a 30g 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) is the dose. In my 10g I dose about 1/4 tsp twice weekly. I was doing less but the plants haven't been as good as in the other tank, but that could also be related to the light--my 10g was the "experiment" in a window, but as of yesterday has a hood light. I would use 1/4 tsp twice weekly.

But the light may be more the issue. The fact that your stem plants are growing well suggests it is brighter than the crypts may need. But at this stage the best way to deal with that is to shade the crypts a bit, and floating plants work well. Even a stem plant like Pennywort allowed to float will do, at little expense. And it is easily controlled to keep it open above the stem plants.

My C. spiralis in my 70g has some yellowing leaves now and then, but new growth continues so I haven't bothered. As I mentioned, crypts are fussy plants.
will do :D hmm while we are talking about crypts, would a red crypt and bronze crypt be ok in 3 watt per gallon conditions?

and would a tank with more plants require more flourish per dose or same dose more frequenlty througout the week?

Hit me up Baby
Blaxicanlatino is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 12-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Member
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Like most crypts, Wendtii prefer less light.

When you shade your spiralis, put the wendtii under it too. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christople View Post
^^ genius
__________________

Soil Substrates Guide:
Part 1
--------- Part 2

_____________________
redchigh is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia (Cript 1)? KatG Beginner Planted Aquarium 6 11-09-2010 12:47 PM
Cryptocoryne Parva ??? RogueGypsy Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 12-11-2009 07:09 PM
Cryptocoryne wendtii pleco_cory_fan Beginner Planted Aquarium 6 02-09-2007 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome