Corkscrew Val in low light - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
bigfish93's Avatar
 
Corkscrew Val in low light

I was doing some research on the size of corkscrew val and for a while alll I could find was that they stay small . Then I came across a few sites that suggested the amount of light has an effect on the length of the val. In a high light tank, vals have no reason to get taller, but in a low light tank the vals grow up torwards the light to get more light. So the lower the light, the longer the val. How does everyone else feel about this? I am going to try and grow corkscrew val in a low light tank and hope they grow to around 15 inches.

Advice for anyone new to the hobby: Do your research!! Before you do anything to your aquarium, take some time to research it. It has made a huge difference for me

S.A. Flooded Jungle (20 gallon)
A heavily planted tank. Inhabitants include: 7 Lemon Tetra, 1 Whiptail Catfish, and MTS.
bigfish93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 PM
New Member
 
Santaclaws's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish93 View Post
I was doing some research on the size of corkscrew val and for a while alll I could find was that they stay small . Then I came across a few sites that suggested the amount of light has an effect on the length of the val. In a high light tank, vals have no reason to get taller, but in a low light tank the vals grow up torwards the light to get more light. So the lower the light, the longer the val. How does everyone else feel about this? I am going to try and grow corkscrew val in a low light tank and hope they grow to around 15 inches.
Thats is interesting I have normal vals in a high light tank and they do stay small they multiply like crazy though
Santaclaws is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
bigfish93's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaclaws View Post
Thats is interesting I have normal vals in a high light tank and they do stay small they multiply like crazy though
Thats what it said on some of the sites. Vals grow and stay very healthy in low and high light tanks, but in high light tanks they have no reason to grow tall. Instead they use that energy to send out runners

Advice for anyone new to the hobby: Do your research!! Before you do anything to your aquarium, take some time to research it. It has made a huge difference for me

S.A. Flooded Jungle (20 gallon)
A heavily planted tank. Inhabitants include: 7 Lemon Tetra, 1 Whiptail Catfish, and MTS.
bigfish93 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Member
 
Austin's Avatar
 
That makes sense to me. If you put a land plant in shade, it will become more "leggy" - have longer and skinnier branches in an attempt to get to the sun. But if you put it in full sun, there's no reason for it to do that. And it can focus on thicker branches and healthier leafs... Not sure about the last part, though, but it seems logical. I have noticed my tomato plants in the shade grew rather leggy, while the ones in the sun grew more "normally."

So it makes sense they would grow longer to reach the sun. My tank has 30 watts over 50 gallons. My vals grow quite long even when they reach the top they fold over.

"He situates himself in relation to time. He takes his place in it. He admits that he stands at a certain point on a curve that he acknowledges having to travel to its end. He belongs to time, and by the horror that seizes him, he recognizes his worst enemy. Tomorrow, he was longing for tomorrow, whereas everything in him ought to reject it."
Austin is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
New Member
 
Santaclaws's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish93 View Post
Thats what it said on some of the sites. Vals grow and stay very healthy in low and high light tanks, but in high light tanks they have no reason to grow tall. Instead they use that energy to send out runners
Cool doing a rescape right now on a 20 gal long want something that looks like grass but is thicker I never thought of using my vals ,
Santaclaws is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Yes, this is the case with many aquarium plants. Echinodorus and Helanthium are particularly noted for this. As is mentioned in the plant profile, the pygmy chain sword height will be in relation to the light intensity.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Tags
corkscrew val , high light , low light

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corkscrew val no longer happy russp Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 08-04-2008 12:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome