can i use co2 system & liquid plant food
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » can i use co2 system & liquid plant food

can i use co2 system & liquid plant food

This is a discussion on can i use co2 system & liquid plant food within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> hello guys i new, i'v just bought the hagen nutrafin natural co2 system and just wondering can i use my interpet flora boost liquid ...

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
can i use co2 system & liquid plant food
Old 09-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
 
Question can i use co2 system & liquid plant food

hello guys i new, i'v just bought the hagen nutrafin natural co2 system and just wondering can i use my interpet flora boost liquid plant food together with this? thanks in advance, adam1000.

Last edited by adam1000; 09-01-2009 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: mistake
adam1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1000 View Post
hello guys i new, i'v just bought the hagen nutrafin natural co2 system and just wondering can i use my interpet flora boost liquid plant food together with this? thanks in advance, adam1000.
I'll assume this is for an aquarium, so I would not use Interpet flora boost as it is specifically intended for an outdoor pond. I couldn't see any list of ingredients on the one site I checked (not being familiar with this product) but pond plants and aquarium plants require some different things from each other.

For indoor aquarium plants there are a few good lines of products. I have great success with Seachem's Flourish series. I only use the Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement since it provides all the necessary macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients that plants require, and in the correct balance. With a CO2 system you will definitely need a good fertilizer, and Flourish Comprehensive is one of the best.

Because plants need so many different nutrients, and these must be in balance, it is very difficult to try dosing individual nutrients like iron, potassium, manganese, zinc, etc. The Comprehensive supplement solves that problem. The amount you need will depend upon the type of plants and how the plants respond to your light and CO2. All of this must also be balanced, or algae will take over in no time (at best) or the plants will not thrive (at worst).

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I'll assume this is for an aquarium, so I would not use Interpet flora boost as it is specifically intended for an outdoor pond. I couldn't see any list of ingredients on the one site I checked (not being familiar with this product) but pond plants and aquarium plants require some different things from each other.

For indoor aquarium plants there are a few good lines of products. I have great success with Seachem's Flourish series. I only use the Flourish Comprehensive Plant Supplement since it provides all the necessary macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients that plants require, and in the correct balance. With a CO2 system you will definitely need a good fertilizer, and Flourish Comprehensive is one of the best.

Because plants need so many different nutrients, and these must be in balance, it is very difficult to try dosing individual nutrients like iron, potassium, manganese, zinc, etc. The Comprehensive supplement solves that problem. The amount you need will depend upon the type of plants and how the plants respond to your light and CO2. All of this must also be balanced, or algae will take over in no time (at best) or the plants will not thrive (at worst).

Byron.
hello thanks, the floora boost i have is for aquarium use,i think they do a simular 1 for ponds over here in the uk, so do you think i should not have any problems? thanks again, adam1000
adam1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam1000 View Post
hello thanks, the floora boost i have is for aquarium use,i think they do a simular 1 for ponds over here in the uk, so do you think i should not have any problems? thanks again, adam1000
Hi Adam,

I did more searching and this seems to be a plant fertilizer. I can't track down specific info as to what is in it, but as long as it is just plant fertilizer it is fine. Not all plant fertilizers are equal, and I don't like saying one is when I haven't used it and can't find out specifics. But if it is working for you now and you intend adding CO2 I can't see a problem. You'll probably have to increase the fertilizer with the additional CO2 as the plants need all the nutrients along with light in balance.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Hi Adam,

I did more searching and this seems to be a plant fertilizer. I can't track down specific info as to what is in it, but as long as it is just plant fertilizer it is fine. Not all plant fertilizers are equal, and I don't like saying one is when I haven't used it and can't find out specifics. But if it is working for you now and you intend adding CO2 I can't see a problem. You'll probably have to increase the fertilizer with the additional CO2 as the plants need all the nutrients along with light in balance.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Byron.
thanks alot you have been really helpfull and thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, this is a great forum thanks again, adam1000
adam1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plant Food?? mastermindc3pro Beginner Planted Aquarium 7 12-02-2009 12:47 AM
Homemade Liquid Fry food gupgupgirl Fish Breeding 4 07-12-2009 09:25 PM
plant food ques. ESKEW Beginner Planted Aquarium 11 04-25-2008 11:38 AM
Just picked up a Natural Plant System CO2 is it good?? idle0095 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 3 07-09-2007 10:19 AM
Which plant(s) are food for these fishes? unlimitedx Beginner Planted Aquarium 11 04-07-2007 12:16 PM


Tags
co2, hagen, interpet, nutrafin, plant food

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 AM.