10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Chrysolite
Oh, okay, thanks.
What exactly is the difference between nitrites and nitrates?
an ion... or an electron... or... some third thing...
On a scientific/chemistry basis... I don't have a clue. But... I know that nitrites get rid of ammonia... ammonia being toxic to fish... nitrites are also harmful to fish, so nitrates get rid of nitrites, and of the three, nitrates are the LEAST harmful but can still build up to toxic levels eventually, before which point you need to do a water change. Off the top of my head... I think levels around 20ppm for nitrates are okay, but once it gets closer to 40ppm you definitely should do a water change.
Someone who's been here longer/knows more than me, please feel free to correct anything I've gotten wrong...