Let me go into detail on mine-
I got 8 stems from sweet aquatics.
in 3 days, half of them had no leaves and the stems were soft.
In 3 more days, 2 stems appeared to have new growth but were shedding the old leaves. I cut the tops off, planted them, and threw out the bottoms. (they were getting soggy.)
All I have left now are the 2 wimpy-looking tops. The red leaves are gone, and the new leaves are green. No new growth since I planted the tops, but I see a little bit of root development... They might pull through.
As far as I can tell, it's pretty safe to say that it bruises extremely easily and takes a lengthy adjustment period, in which it's barely alive and appetising to snails. (Snails have ignored the new growth.)