10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
I would get rid of those two fish (the Chinese Algae Eater) soon. You will note that the name shaded, meaning you can click it to see that species' profile. In there it mentions their largish growth size and their nastiness. Also, as they mature they eat less and less algae and in so small a tank will likely be eating the fish, or trying to.
On the algae, if you have no live plants, I would leave it. I am assuming this is a green or red (actually looks more blackish) algae, and probably brush algae. It will occur in the presence of light and use the available nutrients. Without live plants it is actually rather useful, since it produces oxygen while utilizing some of the organic nutrients.
Oh wow, i didnt know that about these. i just went to petsmart and asked for a good algae eater and this is what the woman suggested. It wouldnt be the first time they lied to me. Our first fish in the tank were 2 silver mollys and 2 tetra. They said they would all be fine together. One of the mollys turned out to be aggressive and it killed and ate one of the tetra. Thanks for the help though, its time to do some research.