advice about switching to planted - Page 4 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 42 Old 12-15-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
I forgot to mention that I no longer have any fake plants in the tank! I'm pretty excited about that.
rjwwrx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
A couple months later I'm back to update with some pictures. I've moved a couple things around and added some anacharis, hornwort, and just yesterday some bacopa caroliniana and some anubias afzelli. I'm now running a dual t8 shoplight with 6500k and 5000k GE bulbs.

My dwarf hairgrass refuses to grow, even with my new lighting, so I'm going to try microswords next. I need some type of foreground plant that will grow and my choices are limited by petsmart.

Things are going ok accept for battling diatoms. I was hoping they would go away as the tank matured, but no luck so far.

FTS







And one for fun
rjwwrx is offline  
post #33 of 42 Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Member
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
looking fine my friend :)

I love the hornwort as a filler behind the wood, and I love all the anubias on the left side too. Are those crypts on the left infront of the wood?

I just put anubias in with my severums. who knew it was tasty to them... lol

oh and how do you like that gravel? thats almost the same exact stuff I was going to use in my 55 when I overhaul it.

Dedicated, converted, lowes / home depot bulb buyer!
beetlebz is offline  
post #34 of 42 Old 02-12-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebz View Post
looking fine my friend :)

I love the hornwort as a filler behind the wood, and I love all the anubias on the left side too. Are those crypts on the left infront of the wood?

I just put anubias in with my severums. who knew it was tasty to them... lol

oh and how do you like that gravel? thats almost the same exact stuff I was going to use in my 55 when I overhaul it.
They are indeed crypts. I got them from packages at petsmart that were labeled crypt wendtii, but I'm pretty sure it's crypt parva. Regardless I like the way they look, and they seem to be doing well. Hopefully as they settle in more I'll see some growth.

I like the gravel. Stem plants could be a little easier to plant, but not bad at all. The swords seem to do fine, I had to pull one up the other day and the roots are traveling through it like crazy.

Thanks for the comments :)
rjwwrx is offline  
post #35 of 42 Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Member
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
crypts are weird though. Alot of times they will melt when you plant them, sometimes not, but they will always take a while to bounce back. Once they do, they should grow like monsters under dual T8s!

Dedicated, converted, lowes / home depot bulb buyer!
beetlebz is offline  
post #36 of 42 Old 02-13-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
My crypts never did melt, but I am still waiting to see any good growth out of them. They look great as they are though so I'm content to wait it out.
rjwwrx is offline  
post #37 of 42 Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Geomancer's Avatar
 
This is what I saw with my crypt after a little over 1 week of growth. The crypt is the one in the center, right next to the driftwood.

Day I got them:

Yesterday:


So it has gotten a little taller and some new leaves. This is with a single 18" T8 tube.
Geomancer is offline  
post #38 of 42 Old 02-14-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Looks good. Wish there were some other crypts I could get but I don't have great local choices. I'll have to order online sooner or later.
rjwwrx is offline  
post #39 of 42 Old 02-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Member
 
Quantum's Avatar
 
Quote:
They are indeed crypts. I got them from packages at petsmart that were labeled crypt wendtii, but I'm pretty sure it's crypt parva
If this came in a plastic envelope type package from the shelves (not the plastic tube) and not from a tank, I have the same thing. It is definitely c. wendtii and not c. parva. I have parva as well and it is much smaller, about an inch or two at most. The three wendtii I got from the package have been slowly transitioning to submerged growth for several months with the leaves becoming longer (about 6") and redder. It has never melted, which is interesting as I have another crypt of some sort that melts regularly.
Quantum is offline  
post #40 of 42 Old 02-14-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
If this came in a plastic envelope type package from the shelves (not the plastic tube) and not from a tank, I have the same thing. It is definitely c. wendtii and not c. parva. I have parva as well and it is much smaller, about an inch or two at most. The three wendtii I got from the package have been slowly transitioning to submerged growth for several months with the leaves becoming longer (about 6") and redder. It has never melted, which is interesting as I have another crypt of some sort that melts regularly.
I did get the plants from the petsmart packages. It looks so similar to all the pictures I see of c.parva. It's good to hear that it is c. wendtii. I'm looking even more forward to new growth now. Thanks Quantum.
rjwwrx is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Have Ick In A Planted Tank, Need Advice. Rip Tropical Fish Diseases 11 07-21-2011 01:15 AM
Advice on my planted aquarium? MyLittlePleco Beginner Planted Aquarium 6 02-05-2011 06:36 PM
Starting Planted Tank, need help and advice :) TheRummy Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 12-22-2010 07:26 PM
New planted tank, advice needed squilky Beginner Planted Aquarium 3 06-22-2010 11:50 AM
advice on planted tank ollecram Beginner Planted Aquarium 1 11-08-2008 03:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome