55 gallon planted tank progress( for those who care) - Page 5 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 174 Old 03-19-2012, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Exclamation Update

The tank is coming along fine right now. Last weekend I wanted to add plants, but my mom felt sick, soo no ride. I want to look for driftwood while at my dad's, but other then that I can't do anything. My dad lives 45min away.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 174 Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Algae!!!

It's really getting on my nerves! Hopefully it won't last!

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #43 of 174 Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Still having problems with Diatoms? How long has this tank been setup and running for?
Btw Diatoms can last up to the first 2 or 3 months of new tanks before it starts to disappear. Well atleast that is my understanding. Now it can last shorter amounts obviously but if it last longer there might be other things contributing to its growth.
Boredomb is offline  
post #44 of 174 Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Still having problems with Diatoms? How long has this tank been setup and running for?
Btw Diatoms can last up to the first 2 or 3 months of new tanks before it starts to disappear. Well atleast that is my understanding. Now it can last shorter amounts obviously but if it last longer there might be other things contributing to its growth.
The tanks been up for about a year, but it has been a VERY slow process. I have some pond snails, I know they love it. I'll try to scape some more off in the morning.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #45 of 174 Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
The tanks been up for about a year, but it has been a VERY slow process. I have some pond snails, I know they love it. I'll try to scape some more off in the morning.
Did the diatoms come after the substrate swap and adding plants or have you had them since day one?
Boredomb is offline  
post #46 of 174 Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Did the diatoms come after the substrate swap and adding plants or have you had them since day one?
I've had them before, but they went away. They came after the plants.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #47 of 174 Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Member
 
beetlebz's Avatar
 
could be the water is dirty, that usually seems to be my problem. I tend to overfeed :\

Dedicated, converted, lowes / home depot bulb buyer!
beetlebz is offline  
post #48 of 174 Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM
New Member
 
I had a problem with the diatoms in my tank for about 6-7 months. They just recently came under control. I wasn't really getting any new diatom growth, but it was still hanging out all over my plants. Mainly my crypts and bacopa. I was in the market for some small catfish, so I picked up 8 otocinclus catfish and within a week all of the brown was gone from my plants. Amazing little vegetarians. Now I extended my light on time by an hour to hopefully encourage a small amount of algae for these guys to feed on. Tank is staying diatom free, at least none I can see before my otos gobble it up.
rjwwrx is offline  
post #49 of 174 Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Jayy's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwwrx View Post
I had a problem with the diatoms in my tank for about 6-7 months. They just recently came under control. I wasn't really getting any new diatom growth, but it was still hanging out all over my plants. Mainly my crypts and bacopa. I was in the market for some small catfish, so I picked up 8 otocinclus catfish and within a week all of the brown was gone from my plants. Amazing little vegetarians. Now I extended my light on time by an hour to hopefully encourage a small amount of algae for these guys to feed on. Tank is staying diatom free, at least none I can see before my otos gobble it up.
I've had otos in the past, but I didn't want to rush out and get and then the algae clear up. I've heard it's hard to get them to eat wafers.

55 gallon planted tank, starting over!!!( looking crappy, needs a major rescape)
Jayy is offline  
post #50 of 174 Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Member
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
I've had otos in the past, but I didn't want to rush out and get and then the algae clear up. I've heard it's hard to get them to eat wafers.
Yeah I wouldn't buy a fish to "fix" the problem. Its usually never a good idea. I would just give it a little more time and see if it stops spreading. Are you still wiping it off to see if it stops coming back? Btw I have never been able to get mine Otos to eat algea waffers or have never seen them eat any. I just make sure to keep some green algae on the back glass.
Boredomb is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daughter's 14 Gallon tank in progress HollyinWA Freshwater Journals 3 01-28-2010 06:53 PM
10 gallon tank progress veganchick Freshwater Journals 12 02-03-2009 06:05 PM
30 Gallon Tank Progress Cody Freshwater Journals 37 02-18-2008 01:26 PM
Planted tank in progress Amphitrite Freshwater Journals 7 02-16-2008 03:00 PM
10 Gallon Planted - Work in Progress jeaninel Freshwater Journals 18 01-20-2008 01:48 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome