2.5 gallon lighting
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Beginner Planted Aquarium » 2.5 gallon lighting

2.5 gallon lighting

This is a discussion on 2.5 gallon lighting within the Beginner Planted Aquarium forums, part of the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium category; --> So I bought a 2.5 gallon on craigslist the other day and it came with an incandescent fixture (holds 1 incandescent or CFL). So ...

Reply
Old 07-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #1
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
Question 2.5 gallon lighting

So I bought a 2.5 gallon on craigslist the other day and it came with an incandescent fixture (holds 1 incandescent or CFL). So I went out to buy a CFL for it, and they were all ten watts, which would give me 4.25 watts per gallon(correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not great at mental math) To me that seems like sort of a lot for a few plants, and I would have to be dosing ferts and CO2 on a 2.5 gallon. So I bought a 50/50 bulb thinking that if only half the bulb is really usable to plants, then I could have half the intensity (just over 2 watts per gallon). But afterwards I realized that the low color temperature could bring algae, which I don't want. So what are your suggestions? I'm pretty stumped.

Also, what are some good species of snails that don't eat live plants, but do graze on algae? I have heard nerites are good, and ramshorns might eat plants. I 'm hearing different things and just want to get that straitened out. Thanks!
maxw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
Nerites will eat some types of algae but not all.. and if they get in the mood they may lay little individual eggs randomly in the tank which are very difficult to scrape off.. in that small of a tank one or two would be manageable.

As far as lighting.. I'm no expert so I can't suggest much. I've got a 2.3 gal with a glass lid and a 13 watt cfl in a desk lamp over it. It's a new tank so I can't comment much on how it's working.. nothing has died yet. But I wanted to suggest getting some floating plants to block out some of the light.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
 
Byron's Avatar
 
I have seen 5w CFL bulbs, though not in daylight. This is a tank where LED lighting is effective, but that is expensive. Or what jennesque suggested works too.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
I went to petsmart yesterday and picked up a marineland 10 watt 5,100K CFL. Will 5,100K be Ok? The only other CFLs were the 50/50 and colormax (I have heard colormax aren't good for plants). I can't get any plants right now because the tank's new silicone is curing and should be ready by Saturday morning. The tank had a leak that I found out about a little while after I filled it up for the first time. One more question, the tank came with a metal hood that holds the CFL. That is the only thing on top of the tank and the bulb is not protected in any way. How would you guys suggest getting it covered? I might just get a piece of glass that fits, but there is nothing that would hold it in place. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
maxw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
 
jennesque's Avatar
 
Is there a way to silicon a piece of glass or plastic to the hood to cover the bulb?

You want the Kelvin rating (if that's the right word..) to be as close to 6500k as possible. I found my 13watt bulb at Lowes.. I've also seen it at Walmart. They should have the 6500k bulb in the lesser wattage as well.. I want to say it's made by GE.
Posted via Mobile Device
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
 
Varkolak's Avatar
 
I would also like some advise on a similar situation, getting an 8 gallon with a 13watt 6,400k cfl and because I broke the other one i got used I now have 2 lights I would be able to use, while 13 is high for him would it be low enough for me to justify using 2 13w.
Varkolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
I went to petsmart yesterday and picked up a marineland 10 watt 5,100K CFL. Will 5,100K be Ok? The only other CFLs were the 50/50 and colormax (I have heard colormax aren't good for plants). I can't get any plants right now because the tank's new silicone is curing and should be ready by Saturday morning. The tank had a leak that I found out about a little while after I filled it up for the first time. One more question, the tank came with a metal hood that holds the CFL. That is the only thing on top of the tank and the bulb is not protected in any way. How would you guys suggest getting it covered? I might just get a piece of glass that fits, but there is nothing that would hold it in place. Any ideas? Thanks!!!
The 6500K will be "cooler" in appearance, and while plants generally do perform better under that, they will manage fine with 5000K which is more red in the mix. And you still have 10w.

You can buy glass covers for the regular sized tanks in all sizes. I use them on my large tanks which have the dual-tube fluorescent fixtures and not a "hood" as such.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkolak View Post
I would also like some advise on a similar situation, getting an 8 gallon with a 13watt 6,400k cfl and because I broke the other one i got used I now have 2 lights I would be able to use, while 13 is high for him would it be low enough for me to justify using 2 13w.
It depends somewhat on what you have in the way of plants and fish and decor. I use two 10w CFL Daylight bulbs over both my 10g and 20g. If the light is balanced with nutrients, plants will use it; if not, algae will increase. Watch the duration, this can help if the intensity is not too far beyond the balance.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
 
maxw47's Avatar
 
I don't think I can get a glass aquarium hood for this tank. It looks custum made and there is no 'imprint' where the hood could go. The glass would just sort of sit there with nothing holding it.
Posted via Mobile Device
maxw47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxw47 View Post
I don't think I can get a glass aquarium hood for this tank. It looks custum made and there is no 'imprint' where the hood could go. The glass would just sort of sit there with nothing holding it.
Posted via Mobile Device
In that case, all you need is a piece of ordinary window glass under the light itself. I have broken my glass covers a couple times, and replaced them with glass from the glass store, so this works. You might (depending upon your skills) get one that can attach somehow, but the main thing is a piece of glass the extent of the light fixture between it and the water.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
75 gallon lighting need help stevenjohn21 Beginner Planted Aquarium 5 05-28-2012 08:03 PM
40 Gallon Lighting bigfish93 Beginner Planted Aquarium 2 01-30-2012 01:55 PM
Lighting for 36 gallon? blacksheep Beginner Planted Aquarium 8 03-27-2010 03:47 PM
55 gallon lighting reds21 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 03-16-2009 05:28 PM
Lighting for a 45 Gallon rhild1982 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 6 07-30-2007 04:21 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.