So it's been roughly 1 month. I'm just going to post some photos on how the tank is coming along. The brown algae problem I was having has completely vanished now. Also there was a green algae bloom following the brown algae, and that has also vanished. There doesn't seem to be enough light in my tank. There is 8 x 54 watts, however the tank is longer then 48 inches and thats the size of the ballast. The light is more focused into the center and is not as bright on both ends of the tank. The plants aren't growing very fast. I haven't added any ferts yet, because I was trying to clear up the algae problem. Now that it's over i'm going to start fertilizing and crank the c02 up a bit.
Equipment added -
I've added a eheim 2217
I've added a fluval Fx5
I have a 38watt UV Tube i'll be adding to help kill unwanted pests and floating things.
Added a few swords to help eat nutrients
Fish added -
I've added 3 Flag fish
I've added 3 Large discus, and transferred 4 juvenile discus from another tank into this one, i have another discus that i'm currently medicating before I put into the tank. He's being dewormed right and he's almost finished his cycle.
I've added 10 Otto Cats
I've added 30+ Grass shrimp to help aid in left over food.
I cleaned the gravel alot to remove nutrients that were helping with the algae problem I was having and I had to remove some of the foreground grass that was there.
The water Quality is almost clear and there is hardly any debris floating in the tank.
I've been maintaining regular water changes, 30% water changes once a week, refilling the sump 10 5 gallons twice a week. Here are some photos, of some of the same spots that I posted before.
I want to start the planting foreground and take control of the lighting and the co2. Then I will be transferring cardinal tetras from the holding tank to this tank once I install this uv sterilizer.