Would this be overstocked? - Page 3
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Would this be overstocked?

Would this be overstocked?

This is a discussion on Would this be overstocked? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I posted this exact same thread on a few other fish forums and nobody had a problem with it at all. Some even went ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Kribensis
Kribensis
Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Would this be overstocked?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
 
I posted this exact same thread on a few other fish forums and nobody had a problem with it at all. Some even went as far as to say that they had problems with multiple Rainbowfish, with the male harrassing the females to death.

Some people said that everything would be fine, but POLITELY suggested that certain fish may be happier in larger numbers.

Some of you people seem to take this a little bit too seriously. Contrary to what you may believe, these aren't nature simulators, these are fish tanks. My poor single Platy (named Gill, for anybody who thinks I view him as disposable) will just have to come to terms with living in a tank that has no natural predators, and getting fed the proper amount of fish food flakes at exact intervals by the giant hand in the sky that also turns the sun on and off. Until his psychiatrist tells me that he is suffering from depression, I'm going to have to assume that he is just fine.

Of course I could also assume this based on his bright colors and the way he swims around with my morbidly undersized group of 3 Danios, who also appear to be the happiest fish in the world.

I bet your dog would be MUCH happier in an air conditioned dog house, but you don't have one do you? Of course not, because that would be crazy.
Dekz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #22
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpc68
And I also know that even you and most/all others here have and will again place fish or other animals in undesirable circumstances.

If you want me to believe that every person on this forum, including yourself, has listened to every bit of advice given to them than you're out of your mind. What kind of a bs statement is that? If you've really never learned anything on your own and just relied on people to tell you how to do something, than how the hell do you know?
I NEVER denied the fact that I have put a fish in an undesirable circumstance. Due to ignorance, I have in fact overstocked a tank without cycling it. I also never denied that anyone else has ever done that, it was my point, everyone makes mistakes, but everyone also tries to fix them when they are told they have made the mistake, they don't just shrug it off and carry on.

His mistake was made due to ignorance, and thats fine, who am I to judge because I have have done the same thing. THATS NOT MY POINT! My point was that he has made the mistake... and has no intention of fixing it, and thats what I have a problem with.

And no, I don't agree with other members telling him to pack it in and give up on his hobby because he has made a mistake. But if he's not willing to try to fix the mistakes he has made then perhaps it's best he doesn't play around with living creatures. If he had been more agreeable and actually showed some interest in correcting his mistakes then I'm sure the other members wouldn't have said that to him.

Out of my mind? You obviously don't know what your talking about. I don't come to a forum, ask a question and then ignore the advice given to me. Because I fully understand that the people on this forum are fish enthusiasts and they are more then happy to help you, it's not like they are making money off this, they are just nice people who love their hobby and want nothing more then to help you with your problems. And it's not very often that we have suborn people on here who don't want the advice they have been given, so no your right, not ALL people on this forum listen to the advice they are given, but 85% of them do.

I'm not trying to make you out as a bad guy, and I never did. Because I'm not looking for a fight.

You can go on and on about how the world revolves around money all you want. We all know this is true. but in no way does it make it ok to view your fish as more disposable then your cat or dog. Thats just redonk, I don't care if you fish was several hundred dollars cheaper then your dog. Your fish suffers and feels pain all the same as your dog does. If I kicked your dog in the face it's going to hurt. If I stick your 12" pleco in a ten gallon un cycled tank, you can bet it's going to hurt it. No one should try and argue that point and just using money as an excuse.

Again I'm not trying to argue with you but I'm just offended that you would say due to the world revolving around money a fish's life is not as important as another living creatures life.
Little-Fizz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #23
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekz
Some of you people seem to take this a little bit too seriously. Contrary to what you may believe, these aren't nature simulators, these are fish tanks. My poor single Platy (named Gill, for anybody who thinks I view him as disposable) will just have to come to terms with living in a tank that has no natural predators, and getting fed the proper amount of fish food flakes at exact intervals by the giant hand in the sky that also turns the sun on and off. Until his psychiatrist tells me that he is suffering from depression, I'm going to have to assume that he is just fine.

I bet your dog would be MUCH happier in an air conditioned dog house, but you don't have one do you? Of course not, because that would be crazy.
Contrary to what YOU believe, fish tanks are nature simulators. If you do it right that is. Thats why keeping a happy, healthy, and balanced fish tank is key. Fish couldn't thrive (Yes there is in fact a difference from just surviving and thriving) if you weren't trying to simulate their natural habitat. You couldn't just take an animal who's environment hugely impacts it's life in every way and change everything around then expect it to live.

And your right, I bet if I believed in chaining my dog outside all day and night he would appreciate an air conditioner. But seeings as I allow my animals to live in the comfort of my air conditioned home, because I believe they have the right to just as I do, I don't think thats going to be a problem. Thanks for your input though. I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to chain my best friend outside.
Little-Fizz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #24
 
ANd like I said, twist my words and make me out to be the bad guy. I didn't say I view fish as disposable. I said our society and the world in general do. I even stated several times in there that I didn't treat them that way. But that's ok.
By getting mad at this guy for trying out what he wants to do despite all your brilliant advice is why we're still having this discussion. If it is a mistake guess what? He's going to figure it out really quick and I'll bet you another beer that he won't make that mistake again.
I know if I listened to every piece of advice I was given I wouldn't have a wife and two kids right now. I wouldn't be done with college, and I certainly wouldn't have the fish that I wanted. Some things are better to learn on your own and figure out what works and what doesn't.
I just don't understand why fish owners get so angry with people for not doing things "the right way". Dogs hate having to live alone, but most of them are. Most dogs hate having to be couped in a cage or in a house all day, but most of them are. Where's the public outcry? Where's the PC "hiss"?
I'm a little verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The white cloud mountain is neither a cloud or a mountain. Discuss.
qpc68 is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #25
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
And your right, I bet if I believed in chaining my dog outside all day and night he would appreciate an air conditioner. But seeings as I allow my animals to live in the comfort of my air conditioned home, because I believe they have the right to just as I do, I don't think thats going to be a problem. Thanks for your input though. I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to chain my best friend outside.
So your dog lives indoors in an air-conditioned house. Wow, talk about thriving in your natural habitat!

How do you feel about birds in cages so small that they can't even fly?

At Wal-Mart they have the Bettas on a shelf in little tupperware containers, right next to the gravel and the fish food. No matter how badly you want it to be, this ISN'T nature, these are pets, and compromises are made.
Dekz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #26
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekz
So your dog lives indoors in an air-conditioned house. Wow, talk about thriving in your natural habitat!

How do you feel about birds in cages so small that they can't even fly?

At Wal-Mart they have the Bettas on a shelf in little tupperware containers, right next to the gravel and the fish food. No matter how hard you try, these are pets, this ISN'T nature and compromises are made.
Considering a ****zu has never had a natural habitat, I would say it's thriving. You should refrain from talking unless you actually know what you are talking about.

I hate seeing birds in cages, but thanks

Excuse me, but not only are you just talking crap now, your acting as if I support this. I never said I condone any of these things. I don't agree with bettas living in cups. But I guess it's as close to puddles in a rice field that walmart would ever supply.

No matter how hard you try you will have nothing relevant to say. So you might as well stop while your ahead.
Little-Fizz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #27
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Considering a ****zu has never had a natural habitat, I would say it's thriving. You should refrain from talking unless you actually know what you are talking about.

I hate seeing birds in cages, but thanks

Excuse me, but not only are you just talking crap now, your acting as if I support this. I never said I condone any of these things. I don't agree with bettas living in cups. But I guess it's as close to puddles in a rice field that walmart would ever supply.

No matter how hard you try you will have nothing relevant to say. So you might as well stop while your ahead.
My Platy has also never had a natural habitat. He was probably bred somewhere, then put in a truck for who knows how long on his way to Wal-Mart, where he was put into a 10 gallon tank with about 30 other fish, with zero plants and god knows what for water quality.

I'm sure he's better off with me than he would be with some 10 year old kid who has no idea what a nitrogen cycle is, not that it would be relevant in the unheated bowl he was probably going to put him in for a few days until he died like the rest of his fish that his mother was complaining about. (They were in line to buy fish before me)

And I'm not saying that you condone any of these things, my original post today wasn't even directed at you until you took it upon yourself to make it that way.

You may hate seeing birds on cages, but you aren't at BirdForums.com being condescening to anyone are you?
Dekz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #28
 
Little-Fizz's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekz
And I'm not saying that you condone any of these things, my original post today wasn't even directed at you until you took it upon yourself to make it that way.

You may hate seeing birds on cages, but you aren't at BirdForums.com being condescening to anyone are you?
Your right, your platty never had an natural habitat, but he still has natural instincts that let him know when somethings not right. He knows how hes supposed to live, like not by himself. Just like my dog still has natural instincts to be in a pack, a.k.a my family. Maybe if I had a dingo or a wolf I would be more worried about turning my backyard into a wild dog haven, But I'm pretty sure thats was bred out of my dog a hundred years or so ago.

Haha, When did I say you were talking directly to me? I believe I didn't. I believe I saw you post about people on this forum (me being one of them ) And took it upon myself to respond, if you didn't want someone to do that, then maybe you shouldn't have posted it where everyone can read it.


I am certainly not being condescending, maybe to you, now, but really, who wouldn't be.

Why in the heck would I be on a bird forum talking crap to people about things I don't know much about. I know a bird in a cage is a sad thing. But I'm not going to go running my mouth to experts about something I know very little about.

I'm finished. Just so you know when I don't respond to the next load of crap you present me with.
Little-Fizz is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
 
Lupin's Avatar
 
Hmmm...So much for debates. Can we please go back on topic?
Lupin is offline  
Old 07-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #30
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Fizz
Just like my dog still has natural instincts to be in a pack, a.k.a my family.
Darn it, and here I was thinking I was done. Oh well.

Are you suggesting that your family is a sufficient substitute for a pack of dogs? How can you think that way yet still be so dead-set against not placing fish in their ideal situations? You say on one hand that fish need to be treated equally as dogs and cats, and then do a complete about face and say that it's ok for dogs to live in an environment that is against their "natural instincts" but not for fish.

I'm all for trying to simulate their natural environment. I'm working towards doing a better job of that in my tank. However, fish can and do survive quite well in other than suggested situations. As individuals each fish can and does behave differently. While most can be categorized under certain standardized rules and guidlines, there are exceptions. Also, many fish can adapt to living in an environment unlike their natural habitat, similar to 99% of all the dogs and cats in this country. So, I'll ask again, why is it that so many fish owners are so passionate about this seemingly unspoken rule of fish-keeping when it's common practice to keep other pets in these situations? I'll say again that I do favor keeping them in the best situation possible. I just want to understand this.
qpc68 is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I overstocked? Rockey Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 11 08-05-2009 10:40 AM
Will I be overstocked? Freddiesbuns Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 10 02-27-2009 03:42 PM
Am I overstocked? lorindaleigh1 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 01-14-2009 07:12 AM
Am I overstocked? unlimitedx Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 5 12-21-2008 08:46 PM
OMG!! How overstocked!!?? Kathryn Freshwater Journals 25 12-27-2006 09:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 AM.