08-04-2012, 01:24 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Byron
If that wood is completely dry--and by this I mean there is no sap in it due to it having been "dead" for a long time--it might be safe. There is always a risk with wood you find, since you don't know what toxins it might have come into contact with at some point (oil, pesticides, other chemicals), and having absorbed such liquids they might dry and leech out over time. Boiling will not necessarily remove these.
For a 10g,you could probably find a nice piece of Malaysian Driftwood which is not that expensive in Petsmart and some other stores. I like this wood because it is dark brown, heavy so it sinks immediately, and is not bad for tannins.
I'm curious, with gathered dry driftwood like this- is there any way to tell if it is hardwood or softwood? Or by this point does it usually not matter anymore?