02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Inga
Crap! This is Malaysian Driftwood and I boiled the heck out of it for over an hour. I wonder why it would show up so much later? It has been in the tank (in a different position) for over a year. The fact that both pieces suddenly get it suggest that something else in the tank is contributing to the growth? Maybe it enjoys the plant fertilizer?
When I got fungus on the Mopani wood I took it out, scrubbed it real hard with a brush and boiled it again. Do you have any other suggestions? I wonder if wood in the water in nature gets these fungus? How does nature take care of that I wonder? I mean, if it is toxic and it happens in nature, what stops the spread and the fish from getting ill?
Remember Inga, I said that this fungus (if that is what it is, I'm not a microbiologist
] could come from some other source. If you leave food particles sitting on the bottom, they will fungus quickly. The fungus does not come from the food, but from the water. Could be similar here. Or this might be some form of bacteria. From the photos it has a slimy look, like cyanobacteria, only white instead of green. But there are many bacteria out there.
I've never had fungus on my Malaysian Driftwood, and I have a lot of it, but that doesn't mean it can't.
As for nature, the fish are in such vast volumes of water that most of these issues are not significant. Like ich; it occurs in all freshwaters, yet we don;t see fish covered with spots. They fight it off. In an aquarium we are creating a very artificial closed system. We use nature to make it work, but we have to intervene now and then (as with water changes, treatments, etc) because the closed system is far too small to do otherwise. Another thing about nature is that every problem often has a solution. This fungus may appear, and some creature may be there to deal with it. Or different bacteria.