05-22-2011, 05:41 PM
| || |
Probably not. I am no expert on disease issues, but from what you've mentioned so far in this thread I am inclined to think the fish problems are the result of the cycling.
Molly are incredibly sensitive to ammonia. I learned this from someone who breeds them commercially. They are frequently chosen for new tanks but are one of the last fish that someone with a new tank should acquire, and only after the tank has cycled and been running a few weeks.
Fish exposed to ammonia and/or nitrite during an initial cycle sometimes live through the cycling. But the effect of the toxic ammonia/nitrite leaves its mark internally and weakens the fish. They often die later, sometimes a few days, sometimes several weeks. Once poisoned by the ammonia/nitrite, I am not aware of any "cure" other than water changes to minimize/remove the ammonia or nitrite with a suitable good conditioner. But the damage, if done, is not curable.
Live plants help in cycling, even if nothing more than some stem plants allowed to float. Plants need nitrogen, and they use ammonia as their preferred source, so fast growing plants will assimilate a lot of ammonia (as ammonium, won't get into that side of it). This is why plants were asked about previously.