Why are some of my fish breathing so hard? - Page 5 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
I have been doing my 50% water changes and they still are breathing the same.I still feed them everyday but they eat all there food.It's hard for me not to feed them when i have these little eyes following me every time i walk by the tank.They know there feeding schedule.If feeding them every other day will help them,then i will do that:(
Should i start buying RO water?
What are current readings for pH and ammonia?

I just noticed that this thread is missing some critical info that we discussed by PM when I had your video. To bring others onside and gain the benefit of their advice too, I will summarize.

The pH in the tank is now in the high 7's so it is close to the tap and remaining stable. The previous pH of 6 is no longer relevant, so this means the ammonia reading is toxic ammonia and not ammonium. I believe this is the cause of the fast respiration. The ammonia is slowly burning the gills. My suggestion now is for daily partial water changes using Prime until ammonia is zero.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
What are current readings for pH and ammonia?

I just noticed that this thread is missing some critical info that we discussed by PM when I had your video. To bring others onside and gain the benefit of their advice too, I will summarize.

The pH in the tank is now in the high 7's so it is close to the tap and remaining stable. The previous pH of 6 is no longer relevant, so this means the ammonia reading is toxic ammonia and not ammonium. I believe this is the cause of the fast respiration. The ammonia is slowly burning the gills. My suggestion now is for daily partial water changes using Prime until ammonia is zero.

Byron.
I still can't seem to download a pic:(...The PH is between 7.8 and 8.0 and the Ammonia looks good to me..I will try and send a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (1).jpg (42.1 KB, 13 views)
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #43 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluydgrl View Post
i still can't seem to download a pic:(...the ph is between 7.8 and 8.0 and the ammonia looks good to me..i will try and send a pic

i did it!!!!!yahoo
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #44 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
i did it!!!!!yahoo
Here is another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (5).jpg (73.3 KB, 13 views)
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #45 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
Here is another pic

The PH looks darker in the pic.They don't seem to be breathing as hard but still not like the should.
Should i have more movement on top of my water?I have the Rena xp2 and a 12" air pump.No much movement on the right side of the tank.Maybe that could create more oxygen?
Could it be my lights??I have a Coralife T5 HO.I run a Colormax and a 6,700K bulb in it.
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #46 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
The PH looks darker in the pic.They don't seem to be breathing as hard but still not like the should.
Should i have more movement on top of my water?I have the Rena xp2 and a 12" air pump.No much movement on the right side of the tank.Maybe that could create more oxygen?
Could it be my lights??I have a Coralife T5 HO.I run a Colormax and a 6,700K bulb in it.
It is not really an oxygen issue, though more oxygen in the water won't hurt as this makes it easier for the fish to respire when their gills are being inflamed by ammonia or similar. Gasping at the surface would be worse, so I wouldn't worry about this. It will take some time for the gills to settle, and frankly I'm not sure how or if this happens.

I'm not seeing the connection with the light... ?

TGhe colour in the photos varies, but in a coujple of them where the colours on the card are darker the test tube results seem good.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #47 of 65 Old 11-12-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
I thought so to.I kept the lights off most of the day as it was light in there already.They seemed more active.I'm going to skip feeding tomorrow and go from there.I will keep you posted
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #48 of 65 Old 11-13-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
My reading today

It looks like its staying the same..Still don't know why they are breathing the way they are:(
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment (1).jpg (41.9 KB, 9 views)
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #49 of 65 Old 11-13-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluydgrl View Post
It looks like its staying the same..Still don't know why they are breathing the way they are:(
The PH is about 1-2 shades lighter then it looks.Its like 7.4..How do i get my PH down?Maybe thats what it is?
Bluydgrl is offline  
post #50 of 65 Old 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Those results are fine, re the ammonia especially. Avoid any stress to the fish so they can be calm. Then let's hope for the best.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If youíre going to take it under your wing then youíre responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome