Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish

Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish

This is a discussion on Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Before Sunday, I had 2 fish in my 10 gallon tank, recently upgraded to a 10 gallon from a 5 gallon. So, before Sunday ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Darter Characin
Darter Characin
Leopard Ctenopoma
Leopard Ctenopoma
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Exclamation Why Is My Guppy Being Aggressive With The New Fish

Before Sunday, I had 2 fish in my 10 gallon tank, recently upgraded to a 10 gallon from a 5 gallon. So, before Sunday I had a Female Dalmation Molly and 1 Yellow Fancy Tail Guppy Male. On Sunday, I went out and bought 2 balloon female mollies and 2 male fancy tail guppies. Ever since I have added these new fish in, the Yellow guppy has been chasing the new fish and trying to bite them.. Is this normal behaviour? When I had just the 2 fish before, the Molly was usually the more aggressive one but now it is the other way around. The tank temp stays at 78F and it is filtered with a Power Filter. Any ideas why my fish is doing this?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
 
redchigh's Avatar
 
Fish have personalities. You have a aggressive guppy apparently.
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
 
Curt's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner101 View Post
Before Sunday, I had 2 fish in my 10 gallon tank, recently upgraded to a 10 gallon from a 5 gallon. So, before Sunday I had a Female Dalmation Molly and 1 Yellow Fancy Tail Guppy Male. On Sunday, I went out and bought 2 balloon female mollies and 2 male fancy tail guppies. Ever since I have added these new fish in, the Yellow guppy has been chasing the new fish and trying to bite them.. Is this normal behaviour? When I had just the 2 fish before, the Molly was usually the more aggressive one but now it is the other way around. The tank temp stays at 78F and it is filtered with a Power Filter. Any ideas why my fish is doing this?

My female guppy likes to be king of my tank. She will chase all the other fish around when to come into her area. She has taken over my volcano and its kind of funny to watch her come in and out of the vocano and chase the males out. She hasent been to the point of biting the others just chasing. at this point.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redchigh View Post
Fish have personalities. You have a aggressive guppy apparently.
Yes, but I kind of find this very odd... Before I got the new fish, this guppy was NEVER aggressive, the Molly was. Do you think the Guppy is letting the fish know that he is boss? lol
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt View Post
My female guppy likes to be king of my tank. She will chase all the other fish around when to come into her area. She has taken over my volcano and its kind of funny to watch her come in and out of the vocano and chase the males out. She hasent been to the point of biting the others just chasing. at this point.
Lol, that's cute! :D And before I got my fish, the guppy was NEVER Aggressive towards any fish.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
 
he might be aggresive because
some guppies claim territories
he might chase them cuz there in his territory
Ma xiong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner101 View Post
Before Sunday, I had 2 fish in my 10 gallon tank, recently upgraded to a 10 gallon from a 5 gallon. So, before Sunday I had a Female Dalmation Molly and 1 Yellow Fancy Tail Guppy Male. On Sunday, I went out and bought 2 balloon female mollies and 2 male fancy tail guppies. Ever since I have added these new fish in, the Yellow guppy has been chasing the new fish and trying to bite them.. Is this normal behaviour? When I had just the 2 fish before, the Molly was usually the more aggressive one but now it is the other way around. The tank temp stays at 78F and it is filtered with a Power Filter. Any ideas why my fish is doing this?
Guppies are nippy fish, and when there is a group of them, they tend to argue until they find their pecking order. Give it a couple of days and the guppy should settle down as they all figure out who is running the group.

Watch the female mollies though, as the guppies also will try to mate with them. The guppies will nip and aggrivate the female mollies trying to mate with her which in turn can cause the female mollies great stress. But since you have 3 and 3, you should be okay. If the guppies aggrivate the mollies too much, consider adding another female molly to spread out the chasing and nipping. Or buy a tank divider and seperate the female mollies from the male guppies. A general guideline for them is 1 male for every 2-3 females.
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
 
bettaowner101's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasColinasCichlids View Post
Guppies are nippy fish, and when there is a group of them, they tend to argue until they find their pecking order. Give it a couple of days and the guppy should settle down as they all figure out who is running the group.

Watch the female mollies though, as the guppies also will try to mate with them. The guppies will nip and aggrivate the female mollies trying to mate with her which in turn can cause the female mollies great stress. But since you have 3 and 3, you should be okay. If the guppies aggrivate the mollies too much, consider adding another female molly to spread out the chasing and nipping. Or buy a tank divider and seperate the female mollies from the male guppies. A general guideline for them is 1 male for every 2-3 females.
Thanks, the guppy bothers the Mollies but not as much as the other Guppies.
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
 
LasColinasCichlids's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaowner101 View Post
Thanks, the guppy bothers the Mollies but not as much as the other Guppies.
Yeah, they are just trying to establish a pecking order, nothing to worry about. And guppies tend to "play" and it can look like chasing and nipping and sometimes like dancing.
LasColinasCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guppy/Molly hybrids smaller and more aggressive. bailey0789 Livebearers 2 01-21-2011 08:18 PM
What are the least aggressive saltwater fish? Mike Saltwater Fish 19 09-13-2010 06:33 AM
Aggressive Female Guppy! ecuash1 Livebearers 5 03-09-2010 07:34 PM
Is this fish aggressive? GrandAmGTTT Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 03-02-2010 01:18 PM
Aggressive Fish. Bryson06 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 08-12-2006 09:42 PM


Tags
aggressive, guppies, mollies, new fish

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.