Why are my guppies all over my Molly? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Why are my guppies all over my Molly?

Hi,

I had 2 Molly's and one passed away. We decided we want to try some Guppies, so we got 2 guppies.

I was worried about the Molly being lonely, but the guppies are all over the molly.

At first I was not sure if it was aggression or not, but clearly it is not (no biting or chasing away)

They are all males, but if i were to guess, I would say they are trying to mate with each other. Wherever the molly goes, you are sure to see the guppies obsessively trying to stay as close to its side as possible (almost like the are schooling - but very close to each other)

Is this behavior common when mixing these two types of fish?

Thanks!
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2014, 01:23 AM
Member
 
Well you guessed right they are trying to mate with the molly. Don't know what size tank you have, but it would be best to add a few more livebearers to give the molly a break. A couplt of Endlers males would do it.

I f you let us know tank size and current tank mares we can help more.
henningc is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Member
 
When I was a kid, I had guppies and mollies mate and produce sterile offspring.
cwmorrow is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
because guppies are brats .. They harass all types of fish lol..I'm serious though. My last remaining one is hanging on at ~7yrs old and was harassing my thread fin rainbows, my juvie angel I was growing out.. really any fish it could bother male or female it would.
Agent13 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by henningc View Post
Well you guessed right they are trying to mate with the molly. Don't know what size tank you have, but it would be best to add a few more livebearers to give the molly a break. A couplt of Endlers males would do it.

I f you let us know tank size and current tank mares we can help more.
Hi,

Are you saying I should add another guppy, or another molly?

I have no plans to breed - all my fish are males.

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 09:10 AM
New Member
 
to solve the problem just get some females guppis are like platys they need if you can 3 females for every male
fishgirl1253 is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Member
 
dancelady's Avatar
 
Smile I don't think they are all males...

It sounds like the guppies being male are trying to mate with the Molly, who is a female. If she looks like this insert, it is a female. So you would need to add a couple more females and don't worry about breeding, if they have babies in the tank, they will be removed by the others. Or if they breed across the species, then you probably won't have to worry about any live babies. Male is on top, female in the insert. This way you can tell what it is. Note female's pectoral/anal fins and her bowed shape (pregnant).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th-89834-molly.jpg (8.2 KB, 19 views)

30G, 20G, 20G & 10G Community tanks of Mollies: Silver,
Sailfin, Dalmatian, Lyretail, Gold Dust, Harlequin, Black
10G Teenage Mollies, some becoming males now ~8 mo.
10G Teenage Mollies, ~8 mo. & Gold Dust Sailfin BB male
20G Teenage Mollies, ~2-7 mo. mixed
10G tank for QT, & 5G mommy tank
10G new Baby Mollies ~appx. 2 wks-1 month ~150 fry
20G Corys 80 various sizes Adults 2F, 2M (& cory fry)
Snails 30+ (not Ramshorn, not Nerite)


Last edited by dancelady; 05-04-2014 at 12:04 PM.
dancelady is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancelady View Post
It sounds like the guppies being male are trying to mate with the Molly, who is a female. If she looks like this insert, it is a female. So you would need to add a couple more females and don't worry about breeding, if they have babies in the tank, they will be removed by the others. Or if they breed across the species, then you probably won't have to worry about any live babies. Male is on top, female in the insert. This way you can tell what it is. Note female's pectoral/anal fins and her bowed shape (pregnant).
Hi,

They are all males.

We do not want to breed our fish, so they are all males.

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Member
 
ShukiAi's Avatar
 
So am I right in saying that you have 3 fish now in your tank? What size tank do you have? Like others above have posted, I'd suggest getting more of each fish if you have the room. That way it spreads out the "aggression" and not just one fish is picked on.

ShukiAi is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 05-05-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShukiAi View Post
So am I right in saying that you have 3 fish now in your tank? What size tank do you have? Like others above have posted, I'd suggest getting more of each fish if you have the room. That way it spreads out the "aggression" and not just one fish is picked on.
Hi,

I have 2 danio glofish (phasing them out), 2 guppies and the 1 molly in a 10 gallon tank.

I presume some will say it is overstocked & that is the cause of the problem, but it is the situation I have, so just trying to deal with it. After 1 month the guppies are as affectionate as ever - like some pheromone issue...
From my prior experience with this tank, I could easily get one more guppy in there, but not another Molly.

Thanks,
Juggernaut
Juggernaut122 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guppies attacking molly until fed dburns865 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 2 04-13-2012 12:27 AM
My Molly fish is skinny now, but no guppies ? sarahmarie1011 Livebearers 1 06-12-2011 02:06 PM
Balloon molly losing color After fight with Dalmation Molly lilly0x Livebearers 1 06-24-2010 05:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome