Why am I showing ammonia? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Why am I showing ammonia?

My tank has been cycling for 5ish weeks now and I've been using minnows to cycle. All are alive and my water levels are perfect, except ammonia. I had my nitrite spikes, safe nitrate still, but for some reason I'm showing about .25 ammonia? It had been 0 until like the last few days so I'm not sure why it's there. My neighbor actually gave me a baby Oscar so he's in there (I know I know bad idea, but he's going to my 75g waiting for him in a week or so). He's done fine for the week I've had him and he's absolutely destroyed the minnows. Is he safe at those levels and am I safe to add other fish? I'm taking him out real soon, but I don't wanna add fish if they'll be stressed.. Oh and pH is 7.2-7.4 or so.
Gerbo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Member
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
My tank has been cycling for 5ish weeks now and I've been using minnows to cycle. All are alive and my water levels are perfect, except ammonia. I had my nitrite spikes, safe nitrate still, but for some reason I'm showing about .25 ammonia? It had been 0 until like the last few days so I'm not sure why it's there. My neighbor actually gave me a baby Oscar so he's in there (I know I know bad idea, but he's going to my 75g waiting for him in a week or so). He's done fine for the week I've had him and he's absolutely destroyed the minnows. Is he safe at those levels and am I safe to add other fish? I'm taking him out real soon, but I don't wanna add fish if they'll be stressed.. Oh and pH is 7.2-7.4 or so.
Lol you crack me up!

Are you using the API master test kit perchance? if so I find it excruciatingly hard to read the ammonia result, sometimes it looks ever so slightly green, other times yellow. so now I just take it as yellow otherwise id just get too stressed with it. my fish are fine. the nitrite is always definitely 0ppm but that pesky ammonia one is trouble I tell you!

whats next for your 30g? Jaws himself? just kidding man.
peace.

Peace always..

If you worry you die, and if you don't worry you still die..... so why worry?
rhymon78 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymon78 View Post
Lol you crack me up!

Are you using the API master test kit perchance? if so I find it excruciatingly hard to read the ammonia result, sometimes it looks ever so slightly green, other times yellow. so now I just take it as yellow otherwise id just get too stressed with it. my fish are fine. the nitrite is always definitely 0ppm but that pesky ammonia one is trouble I tell you!

whats next for your 30g? Jaws himself? just kidding man.
peace.
It's always yellow and it's driving me crazy! An I got the tinfoils out an this guy here will not be long. And thanks cause it is API.
Gerbo is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Member
 
rhymon78's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbo View Post
It's always yellow and it's driving me crazy! An I got the tinfoils out an this guy here will not be long. And thanks cause it is API.
I have come to the conclusion that if you think it reads 0.25ppm then its actually 0ppm. otherwise I have ALWAYS got ammonia present, and my tank is stupidly planted with live plants, and a ton of fast growing floating plants too... I may be over stocked, but my fish are all small. it depends on the light you look at it in, it does look very much look like the 0.25 mark though, I know what you mean, it sucks. I wouldn't worry. IMO.

Yellow is good, yellow is what you want. if it goes green, and not just a teeny weeny hint of green, i mean oh that is definitely green then worry.

Peace always..

If you worry you die, and if you don't worry you still die..... so why worry?
rhymon78 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
API Test Strips? or API Liquid Testing kit with the little bottles? S/B the liquid kit.
Also test your tap water. Know what you are putting in when you do a water change.
Mine has an ammonia of .25 out of the tap.
Also Ammonium tests as Ammonia too I believe. Don't know the science but Prime or De-chlor neutralizes and converts it to Ammonium but it still reads as if it is in there.
Hopefully others can chime in and explain it better.
SeaHorse is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
API Test Strips? or API Liquid Testing kit with the little bottles? S/B the liquid kit.
Also test your tap water. Know what you are putting in when you do a water change.
Mine has an ammonia of .25 out of the tap.
Also Ammonium tests as Ammonia too I believe. Don't know the science but Prime or De-chlor neutralizes and converts it to Ammonium but it still reads as if it is in there.
Hopefully others can chime in and explain it better.
It's liquid testing. I don't trust strips at all. I would always do a two when I used them and more often than not they'd read different on something. But I've never seen strips with an ammonia test? But yes liquid.
Gerbo is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:50 PM
TFK Moderator
 
SeaHorse's Avatar
 
I had the single test strips for ammonia at one time. what is your tap water numbers? have you tested it?
SeaHorse is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiebabie View Post
I had the single test strips for ammonia at one time. what is your tap water numbers? have you tested it?
Reads perfect 0's. The ammonia level I'm at is supposed to be like rapid gill pumping and clamped find but the fish have no abnormal behavior or anything. Could it be picking up chemicals somehow or is it the ammonium? It's a pretty heavily planted tank.
Gerbo is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Hanky's Avatar
 
I like Rymons thinking, .25 may as well be 0, I too can never keep it at perfect 0 although nitries are 0 and nitrates are 10. You can drive yourself crazy shooting for 0. you said the oscar was ripping up your minnows? ammonia may be from decaying fish or fish pieces.
Hanky is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-10-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Gerbo's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky View Post
I like Rymons thinking, .25 may as well be 0, I too can never keep it at perfect 0 although nitries are 0 and nitrates are 10. You can drive yourself crazy shooting for 0. you said the oscar was ripping up your minnows? ammonia may be from decaying fish or fish pieces.
Yeah there is a fish head I can't get to... I'll try to get that out.
Gerbo is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome