02-02-2012, 09:38 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by Rayemond
Which test are you using? When I was cycling my tank I kept getting a 0 for nitrate too until someone told me that the API nitrate test can be a bit tricky. The liquid in bottle 2 separates and gets stuck in the bottom of the bottle, especially if it has been sat of the shelf of the shop for a long time. You need to shake it up really well and whack it on a hard surface to loosen it and mix all the liquid up. Shake the hell out of it! The follow the instructions, make sure you shake bottle 2 vigorously for at least 30 seconds before adding it to the test tube and after you add it shake the test tube vigorously for a minute, until it feels like your arm is going to fall off :P
After I followed this advice I finally got a nitrate reading! :D And after the enthusiastic table-whacking, the liquid in bottle 2 was visibly much thicker when it dripped out, whereas it had been quite watery before.
I did shake, but I will try and "wack" it next time and see if it changes, I have the API liquid test kit.