Where to buy fish - LFS or petsmart? - Page 4
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Where to buy fish - LFS or petsmart?

Where to buy fish - LFS or petsmart?

This is a discussion on Where to buy fish - LFS or petsmart? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Tyyrlym That's a solid stocking plan. I will say this though, why are you getting the ottos? Never buy a fish ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Twig Catfish
Twig Catfish
China Hi Fin Shark
China Hi Fin Shark
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Where to buy fish - LFS or petsmart?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #31
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyyrlym View Post
That's a solid stocking plan. I will say this though, why are you getting the ottos? Never buy a fish assuming it will do some work for you, always get them because you like them for some reason. There is no guarantee that the ottos are going to eat algae for you. Once you feed them some sinking algae wafers (and you will have to, your tank won't be large enough to grow enough algae to support 3 ottos) they may not go back to eating the wild growing stuff. You will still have to clean the tank and do all the work you normally would. I just say this because a lot of people buy ottos expecting them to work and are then sorely disappointed.
I ended up getting 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 platys, and am babysitting a friend's oto while he's away on vacation (the oto is in my tank until he gets back). I think once he gets back and takes his oto back, I'll just get one maybe. I want something that will help keep the tank clean, and I think otos are cute and fun to watch... but if there won't be enough algae for 3 then maybe I'll stick with 1.

Quote:
lemme ask you this, do you think the fish can count and process concepts like "even" and "odd" ?
Hahah probably not (at least not in the way we understand the concept) but who knows if there's some other reasoning behind it than just plain math? I had read a suggestion elsewhere that it's more about keeping the 2:1 ratio between females and males with livebearers, which does make a bit more sense.

Quote:
No, all males are just fine if you want. The only down side is that in the absence of females I've had my males get belligerent on each other. Since then I've always kept females.
I believe I have 2 females and 1 male platy.

Quote:
No, thinking about what you're doing is important. You're going to be caring for these fish so you should be making their lives as good as possible. Also, you're going to be investing a lot of time and money in this, you should make sure you do it right.
Yeah... just sometimes I feel like I've made this near-instant transformation from someone who only thought about fish as food, into someone who can't stop thinking about fish and how to keep them alive and happy haha.
iamgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #32
 
Tyyrlym's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgray View Post
I ended up getting 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 platys,
I will say that something I blanked on is that you've got a small tank and zebra danios are very active swimmers that need room. I think what you've got now is good.

Quote:
and am babysitting a friend's oto while he's away on vacation (the oto is in my tank until he gets back). I think once he gets back and takes his oto back, I'll just get one maybe. I want something that will help keep the tank clean, and I think otos are cute and fun to watch... but if there won't be enough algae for 3 then maybe I'll stick with 1.
You already have something that will keep the tank clean. You. I'm not being mean but it is your responsibility to keep the tank in the condition you want it, not the fish's. I have never heard of anyone with a freshwater tank successfully combat algae with an animal they introduced to the tank, ever. There are too many factors at play to ever be successful in this way. If you think the otos are cute and fun to watch then by all means get 3, they like crowds. Suppliment their diet with sinking algae wafers and they'll likely be fine.

Quote:
Hahah probably not (at least not in the way we understand the concept) but who knows if there's some other reasoning behind it than just plain math?
I have never seen any actual reasoning behind that bit of advice, not even bad reasoning. The explanation I usually hear is, "Well that's what I was told." Most shoaling fish don't exist in small groups in the wild but in groups of hundreds, even thousands of fish at a time. There's no way a human can count them much less a fish. When it comes to fish like tetras just know they like lots of company, the more the better. You'll get better activity out of them and they just look great in large groups. Other fish, like tiger barbs and cichlids, need to be kept in large groups to spread around the agression and bullying they can get into so that the weaker fish aren't systematically killed off.

Quote:
I had read a suggestion elsewhere that it's more about keeping the 2:1 ratio between females and males with livebearers, which does make a bit more sense.
That is actually very good advice and I would consider it an absolute minimum as well. Like I said earlier livebearers have adopted the survival mechanism of just making so many little fish that some are bound to survives. Consequently male live bearers are horny little devils and will pester the female incessantly. Just like with the more agressive fish you keep multiple females in the tank to spread the male's advances around.

Quote:
I believe I have 2 females and 1 male platy.
Well then mazal tov, both your females are pregnant.

Quote:
Yeah... just sometimes I feel like I've made this near-instant transformation from someone who only thought about fish as food, into someone who can't stop thinking about fish and how to keep them alive and happy haha.
That's just sort of the way it works honestly. Though I still enjoy a nice piece of sushi.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
petsmart jjtf00 Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 12 11-09-2009 08:05 AM
fish getting sick form petsmart joeshmoe Tropical Fish Diseases 22 10-26-2006 09:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.