When to change filter media - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
When to change filter media

Hello,

I have a 10 gallon that has been set up for exactly a month today. I was just wondering when do I change the filter media cartridge? I was thinking to just clean it off and rinse it in the aquarium water on my next water change and put it back in, but I'm not sure if the carbon isn't good anymore since it's been running for a month. Or should I put a new filter cartridge in and squeeze the old one on it and rub it together to put some of the bacteria on the new one. Any suggestions?
ruby716 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
zof
Member
 
zof's Avatar
 
Most people on this forum tend not to care to much about activated carbon, as with a properly maintained tank there is no need for it. If it was me I would keep using the old cartridge until it fell apart or no longer allowed water to flow through at a good rate. When you do replace it you will want to run both the old and new cartridge together for around a week or two to let the bacteria colonize the new one so you don't start a mini cycle by removing all the bacteria.
zof is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 PM
+1

38 gallon :
Pelvicachromis Taeniatus Nigerian Red not yet breeding pair
4 Pangio Kuhli
12 Hemmigrammus Bleheri
2 Botia Lohachata
1 Botia Straita
1 Ancistrus Sp.
6 Poecilia Reticulata




The Wet Spot Portland Oregon!!!!!!

ADA: Do!aqua Iwagumi 10 gallon size!
7 Clown Killies
7 Ghost shrimp
Christople is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zof View Post
Most people on this forum tend not to care to much about activated carbon, as with a properly maintained tank there is no need for it. If it was me I would keep using the old cartridge until it fell apart or no longer allowed water to flow through at a good rate. When you do replace it you will want to run both the old and new cartridge together for around a week or two to let the bacteria colonize the new one so you don't start a mini cycle by removing all the bacteria.


well the filter media i have is the white pad with the hard little black carbon rock things in it.. doesnt that help keep the water clean and give oxygen to the tank?

thanks for the advice :)
ruby716 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 12:15 AM
zof
Member
 
zof's Avatar
 
Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals and some other impurities in the water along with helping control the smell and providing a good home for beneficial bacteria, but it is not necessary for a well maintained healthy tank. It shouldn't really help any with oxygen dissipation in the water though.

Go with out it, you will save money and probably not notice a difference.
zof is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zof View Post
Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals and some other impurities in the water along with helping control the smell and providing a good home for beneficial bacteria, but it is not necessary for a well maintained healthy tank. It shouldn't really help any with oxygen dissipation in the water though.

Go with out it, you will save money and probably not notice a difference.

im confused.. what do u mean go without it? thats the kind of filter pads i have.. there white and inside is the black hard stuff..thats the carbon right?
ruby716 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Tomsk's Avatar
 
Leave it in there and don't change it,the white outer and the carbon inner with have a nice colony of benefical bacteria on it.If it starts to get clogged up then give it a swish around in your removed old tank water when doing a water-change,if that doesn't seem to help then get a new pad and let it float in the tank alongside your running old filter/pad for a couple of weeks to allow it to gain a bacterial growth.

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM
zof
Member
 
zof's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby716 View Post
im confused.. what do u mean go without it? thats the kind of filter pads i have.. there white and inside is the black hard stuff..thats the carbon right?
You can always go with the large blue pad of filter material, its cheap and you just cut it to size, no need to buy those expensive filter cartridges.
zof is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fluval 405 Media Change gilfish Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 03-03-2011 02:03 AM
Alternative filter media for power filter okiemavis Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 04-05-2008 02:57 PM
Canister Filter Media Change Mr.Todd Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 1 05-07-2007 11:30 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome