Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method? - Page 5
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method?

Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method?

This is a discussion on Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Finally got the article done on TSS and TDS, here's the link: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...uarium-122027/ I usually like to mull over articles for a few days ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Golden Pencilfish
Golden Pencilfish
Silver Hatchetfish
Silver Hatchetfish
Like Tree39Likes

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Whater changes ...Whats everyone's preferred method?
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #41
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Finally got the article done on TSS and TDS, here's the link:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...uarium-122027/

I usually like to mull over articles for a few days before posting them, so bits may change especially if anyone has questions or thinks something needs clarifying, etc. My desk is piled with research, though most I use now is from the internet.

Hope this helps explain why this is really an important issue; I must confess that I have come to realize this even more from pulling this together.

I came across a fine article by Paul Loiselle, a name you cichlid buffs should recognize, although the youngsters may not. Dr. Loiselle was at the fore-front with the "new" rift lake cichlids back in the 1980's, and I was privileged to spend several days with him and some other ichthyologists at a convention when I was president of the VAS. Memories.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
 
Thanks for the suggestion, are they low light plants? We just have LED's on the 220 and 120, we have standard fluorescent lights on the 125 Tang and T5's on the 46 bowfront. All of the rest of the tanks are in the fish room and have standard shop lights.
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #43
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemalawifish View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, are they low light plants? We just have LED's on the 220 and 120, we have standard fluorescent lights on the 125 Tang and T5's on the 46 bowfront. All of the rest of the tanks are in the fish room and have standard shop lights.
The floating plants should be fine with any decent light [by which I mean spectrum and intensity, to distinguish from moonbeams and such which won't do it]. Lower plants, like the Valls, are more demanding obviously, so it would depend upon the LED. T5 will certainly be sufficient, T8 should depending jupon floating plant cover.

Vallisneria is a lovely plant, but I can't grow it because my water is too soft. Ceratopteris cornuta thrives like a weed.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #44
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakemalawifish View Post
You know Byron, I have read several of your stabbing comments, not just this one but several of them in other posts. You have a way of making your point of the matter very clear as if you really think your way is best. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to be right according to their best judgement and former practice. Thank God we do not have to have a PhD to keep fish alive. Everyone is free to make their own choice as to how to care for their beloved fish. To me, that is just part of enjoying fishkeeping... to have beautiful and healthy fish and help others do the same. Bad advice is just that... bad, and I don't think anyone would purposely give it. I hope others on this forum are able to ascertain the difference between bad advice, one sided advice and good advice. We have over 800 gallons of tanks running in our home and several thousands of dollars of fish, I am going to follow the manufacturer's directions.
I agree 100%
One thing i have found is that there are some people on here that think they know all and its their way or no way. What I have found it that most of whats been written is totally contradictory to what I've read on many other sites as well as people who have yrs and yrs of experience not only keeping fish but breeding them as well. I have asked in other posts to provide some data and also asked for their credentials....i heard nothing but crickets. I've read in other posts the phrase "thru my research"...that is a misleading statement. Running 4 tanks full of neons and guppies dont qualify as research in my book.
mikejp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #45
 
By the way, I read the directions off the label and follow them. Im no chemist and I certainly didnt mfg the product so I'll just do as whats directed and spend a few extra cents when I do my water changes.
mikejp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #46
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejp67 View Post
I agree 100%
One thing i have found is that there are some people on here that think they know all and its their way or no way. What I have found it that most of whats been written is totally contradictory to what I've read on many other sites as well as people who have yrs and yrs of experience not only keeping fish but breeding them as well. I have asked in other posts to provide some data and also asked for their credentials....i heard nothing but crickets. I've read in other posts the phrase "thru my research"...that is a misleading statement. Running 4 tanks full of neons and guppies dont qualify as research in my book.
If this is directed at me, which I assume it is, you have left yourself wide open.

I don't care what you've read on whatever sites. Reliability in information and data is determined solely by the source. Anyone can start up a website and post rubbish, which unfortunately many believe. There are many of us here who dispel that rubbish.

And to do so we use the scientific factual data from professional ichthyologists who have the knowledge to make the statements.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:30 PM   #47
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If this is directed at me, which I assume it is, you have left yourself wide open.

I don't care what you've read on whatever sites. Reliability in information and data is determined solely by the source. Anyone can start up a website and post rubbish, which unfortunately many believe. There are many of us here who dispel that rubbish.

And to do so we use the scientific factual data from professional ichthyologists who have the knowledge to make the statements.
Your right, anyone can start up a website and post rubbish....yet, anyone can sign up on a blog site and post rubbish as well.
mikejp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejp67 View Post
Your right, anyone can start up a website and post rubbish....yet, anyone can sign up on a blog site and post rubbish as well.
I just responded to your post in another thread on this, that covers the issue. If you don't agree with what I post, go and convince the ichthyologists and biologists who published the data I use, not me.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #49
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejp67 View Post
I agree 100%
One thing i have found is that there are some people on here that think they know all and its their way or no way. What I have found it that most of whats been written is totally contradictory to what I've read on many other sites as well as people who have yrs and yrs of experience not only keeping fish but breeding them as well. I have asked in other posts to provide some data and also asked for their credentials....i heard nothing but crickets. I've read in other posts the phrase "thru my research"...that is a misleading statement. Running 4 tanks full of neons and guppies dont qualify as research in my book.
I don't quite agree with that. There are in fact many different ways of fish keeping, although very few are the 'right' way. By 'right' I mean a fishkeeping method that is specified to a fish's temperament, water parameters, etc, that creates the best environment possible.

However, there are many, many, MANY wrong ways, that people may insist are right. I will fully admit that just about every aspect of fishkeeping can be debated one way or another with evidence to back it up, it's all a matter of choosing what is best for the owner's personal fish, which may differ from anyone else's.

I think when people are as passionate as this forum's members are, they try to help as best as they can with what they know.
I always research what is written hear, I do agree that you can't always trust someone. Even those who run fish shops don't always know best.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there will always be differing opinions, and different advice, but don't just discount it because what you've read other places can seem to discredit it. Remember that at one time it was common practice (even ADVISED) that a pregnant woman drink alcohol daily?
I think fishkeeping can be the same. There's always going to be new information and it may be different from the norm. I'm not saying it's always right, but it might not be wrong either.
Byron and Canadian Fish like this.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #50
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
I don't quite agree with that. There are in fact many different ways of fish keeping, although very few are the 'right' way. By 'right' I mean a fishkeeping method that is specified to a fish's temperament, water parameters, etc, that creates the best environment possible.

However, there are many, many, MANY wrong ways, that people may insist are right. I will fully admit that just about every aspect of fishkeeping can be debated one way or another with evidence to back it up, it's all a matter of choosing what is best for the owner's personal fish, which may differ from anyone else's.

I think when people are as passionate as this forum's members are, they try to help as best as they can with what they know.
I always research what is written hear, I do agree that you can't always trust someone. Even those who run fish shops don't always know best.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there will always be differing opinions, and different advice, but don't just discount it because what you've read other places can seem to discredit it. Remember that at one time it was common practice (even ADVISED) that a pregnant woman drink alcohol daily?
I think fishkeeping can be the same. There's always going to be new information and it may be different from the norm. I'm not saying it's always right, but it might not be wrong either.
I totally agree. Whats good today most likely wont be good tomorrow. Just because it was written by the good Dr in 1987, doesnt mean its the right way. And anyone of us who have aquariums remember the old ways things were done which are completely out the window today. Nearly everyone on this site is open to new methods and suggestions, but some are not. And state it with a arrogant tone.
mikejp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preferred tank level of Apistogramma cacatuoides KaylNeko Cichlids 8 01-19-2012 06:34 PM
Fish and Preferred Substrates Greedy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 02-21-2010 05:57 AM


Tags
dechlorinator, waterchanges

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.