What will there babys look like? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Plumkin's Avatar
 
What will there babys look like?

so as some of you know my angels have had an sucessfull spawn was wondering what these to beautys babys would look like when they get older?


75 GallonCommunityTank

Angelfish
Clown Loach
Columbian Tetra
Blood Parrot Chilid
Large Pleco
German Blue Ram Male | Female
Ballon Red eye tetra
Weather Loach
Red tail shark
Plumkin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Member
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Hmmm, I don't know anything about angelfish genetics, but I'd bet you'll get some attractive variations in the offspring! Is there a dominant color in angelfish? Anyone know if angelfish color is a multiple-gene trait? I'd bet, seeing all the colors and patterns in angels, that more than a couple of genes are involved.

Oh, and congrats
DKRST is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Okay, so assuming that Parent A is a Black angelfish(not black lace) and Parent B is a Gold Marble Angelfish (not Gold Marble Pearlscale, or Gold).... The "official" probabilities are that their is a 2/3 chance that all the offspring will look Black, and a 1/3 chance that half would be black, and the other half would be Gold Marble. Although, from what I've seen, I doubt that Parent A is heterozygous for the Dark allele (D/GM) so I would count on your offspring being black. If you know what Parent A's parents were, and one was a Gold Marble Angelfish (The other being a Black Angelfish) then we could be 100% positive that half offspring would be Gold Marbled. Hope that helped
amazon21 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
Hmmm, I don't know anything about angelfish genetics, but I'd bet you'll get some attractive variations in the offspring! Is there a dominant color in angelfish? Anyone know if angelfish color is a multiple-gene trait? I'd bet, seeing all the colors and patterns in angels, that more than a couple of genes are involved.

Oh, and congrats
The D trait that the black parent shows is dominant over the GM trait that the other parent shows, and it is not a multiple-gene trait. No co-dominance or incomplete dominance is shown either.
amazon21 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Member
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon21 View Post
The D trait that the black parent shows is dominant over the GM trait that the other parent shows, and it is not a multiple-gene trait. No co-dominance or incomplete dominance is shown either.
Hmmm. Without getting too deep into the angelfish genetics, and not diverting too far from Plumkin's original posted question (sorry): What influences the marbling and the "calico" color variations if black shows complete dominance? If no one wants to answer this, no sweat, I'll do some research on my end!
DKRST is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
New Member
 
amazon21's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRST View Post
Hmmm. Without getting too deep into the angelfish genetics, and not diverting too far from Plumkin's original posted question (sorry): What influences the marbling and the "calico" color variations if black shows complete dominance? If no one wants to answer this, no sweat, I'll do some research on my end!
The dark, marble, gold marble, and gold traits are on the same locus. Marbling does not happen because of the dark allele, it was probably some mutation from the original wild allele? The marbling allele is recessive to the Dark allele but is completely dominant over gold marble and gold. Both the Dark alleles and the marble alleles are co-dominant to the wild allele.

EDIT: Did a little research and have confirmed that the Marbled allele is a mutation from the Wild allele....

Last edited by amazon21; 03-17-2011 at 07:21 PM.
amazon21 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to amazon21 For This Useful Post:
DKRST (03-17-2011)
post #7 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Member
 
DKRST's Avatar
 
Thanks - concise and easy to follow info, I appreciate it. I'll quit diverting this post now
DKRST is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new platy babys mattfishgeek Livebearers 8 09-05-2010 01:43 PM
ok what happend first 45 babys now over 100 please look chrisandmarie Freshwater Journals 14 03-15-2009 10:51 AM
Got Some New Babys chris55 Freshwater Journals 8 02-28-2009 01:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome