what are some good techniques for netting out a small fish in a crowded tank? - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Question what are some good techniques for netting out a small fish in a crowded tank?

its full of plants, caves and decorations and I really dont want to take anything out.

She has to be in the hospital tank by saturday so I could really use some tips now.

how can I net her out she is really smart for such a small fish.

thank you for your help!

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 PM
What's always worked for me is having two nets. A chaser and a catcher haha.
SomeDudeAtHome is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 PM
ninja reflexes :3

.... I'm probably drunk.

This is how I lurk


Mikaila31 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Use the force Luke.

Father Knows Best but Abbey knows everything! I once knew everything, then I asked one question.
` ...><((((>` . . ` . . . ><((((> . ` .. . ><((((>
AbbeysDad is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAtHome View Post
What's always worked for me is having two nets. A chaser and a catcher haha.
thats clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
ninja reflexes :3
Mikaila if your a ninja at this skill then im a sumo wrestler lol I dont want to do it fast because Im afraid to give them heart attacks because they might think that the net is a scary monster fish thats gonna eat them!!

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Member
 
iamgray's Avatar
 
Or if you don't have two nets, use ypir other hand. I usually shoo them towards the glass into a corner and then use my hand to block their escape in one side, and then it's just a quick scoop with the net
iamgray is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
its full of plants, caves and decorations and I really dont want to take anything out.

She has to be in the hospital tank by saturday so I could really use some tips now.

how can I net her out she is really smart for such a small fish.

thank you for your help!
I'm not sure this would work for you - but I found a home for my danios, and they are very fast, but had to get them out of the tank, and also have plants I didn't want pulled up. They were always ready at the top to eat, so I had a large container, already half in the tank and put food on top, they swarmed for it, and I scooped a couple up each time that way. Try it! If it's not an aggressive eater, than it may not work.

gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgray View Post
Or if you don't have two nets, use ypir other hand. I usually shoo them towards the glass into a corner and then use my hand to block their escape in one side, and then it's just a quick scoop with the net
I tried using my other hand butttt she is absolutly lightning fast. she can probably beat a drag racer from 0-60

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
leogtr's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenInNM View Post
I'm not sure this would work for you - but I found a home for my danios, and they are very fast, but had to get them out of the tank, and also have plants I didn't want pulled up. They were always ready at the top to eat, so I had a large container, already half in the tank and put food on top, they swarmed for it, and I scooped a couple up each time that way. Try it! If it's not an aggressive eater, than it may not work.

gwen

thank you for the tip! there is only one problem though shes not eating anything :[ thats why I want to put her in the hospital tank to see if I can give her this medication I got. She is very smart that she is.

when I come 5 feet close to the aquarium she comes close to the glass and I guess she recognizes me then she runs back to her little refuge hide-out. She peeks out once in a while and when Im gone she comes out to the side. The others dont really care because they know that Im not after them.

please watch and share with friends and family.
leogtr is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by leogtr View Post
thank you for the tip! there is only one problem though shes not eating anything :[ thats why I want to put her in the hospital tank to see if I can give her this medication I got. She is very smart that she is.

when I come 5 feet close to the aquarium she comes close to the glass and I guess she recognizes me then she runs back to her little refuge hide-out. She peeks out once in a while and when Im gone she comes out to the side. The others dont really care because they know that Im not after them.
Awww, poor thing. I hope you can save her.

Gwen

Just because animals can't talk, does not mean they should not be heard
GwenInNM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to GwenInNM For This Useful Post:
leogtr (05-20-2011)
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
is my tank crowded? jgrem91 Cichlids 14 01-18-2011 03:48 PM
Is my tank crowded? johnnyjiron Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 15 10-06-2010 01:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome