What Powerhead for 75g - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
trit0n2003's Avatar
 
What Powerhead for 75g

What rate hydor powerhead should i get to increase the circulation around my 75g tall tank?

It has 5 discus so I don't want TOO much flow to make them uncomfortable, but just a little extra flow to help move around the CO2 and nutrient rich water. I don't feel like my canister filter is doing enough.

Mainly just saggitaria, vals, a few swords, anubias, and few species of crypts.
trit0n2003 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trit0n2003 View Post
What rate hydor powerhead should i get to increase the circulation around my 75g tall tank?

It has 5 discus so I don't want TOO much flow to make them uncomfortable, but just a little extra flow to help move around the CO2 and nutrient rich water. I don't feel like my canister filter is doing enough.

Mainly just saggitaria, vals, a few swords, anubias, and few species of crypts.
I use the hydor Koralia II on 80 gallon and it provides considerable movement.
I might try the Koralia I.
Mine is on timer to come on with light's.
At night while fish are resting,,it is off.

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
trit0n2003's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I use the hydor Koralia II on 80 gallon and it provides considerable movement.
I might try the Koralia I.
Mine is on timer to come on with light's.
At night while fish are resting,,it is off.
Yay someone replied lol do you think the koralia 2 would be too intense for my discus? Should I try the 1?
Posted via Mobile Device
trit0n2003 is offline  
post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Member
 
1077's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trit0n2003 View Post
Yay someone replied lol do you think the koralia 2 would be too intense for my discus? Should I try the 1?
Posted via Mobile Device
Depend's on what the filter you have is producing with regard's to movement.
I kept a group of five Discus in 80 gal with two Emperor 400 filter's by Marineland and this was plenty of filtration without the Koralia.
80 gal is now filtered by Aquaclear 110, and Koralia II is placed at other end of tank to help with movement of water back to the end where filter intake is.
Am planning on FX5 for the 80 gal and will not need the koralia but until then..

The most important medication in your fish medicine cabinet is.. Clean water.
1077 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
trit0n2003's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
Depend's on what the filter you have is producing with regard's to movement.
I kept a group of five Discus in 80 gal with two Emperor 400 filter's by Marineland and this was plenty of filtration without the Koralia.
80 gal is now filtered by Aquaclear 110, and Koralia II is placed at other end of tank to help with movement of water back to the end where filter intake is.
Am planning on FX5 for the 80 gal and will not need the koralia but until then..
I use a canister filter that is rated at 369 gph, but with the filter media it is slightly lower. Plus I've heard that (my filter model), the flow rate slows a little more over time. I think I notice it lol.

I don't want to get something too powerful or too weak lol I just don't have a reference to look at.
Posted via Mobile Device
trit0n2003 is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
If I can find the magnets that hold it to the glass...I am going to add a nano to my 75g tank just for a little extra current. Not sure the specs...I can't remember but I want to say it was <200gph. It's an older model.
Nubster is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2011, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
trit0n2003's Avatar
 
I saw a video of someone with the koralia evolution 750gph in a planted tank and it looked pretty good. I'm asking for that for christmas lol
Posted via Mobile Device
trit0n2003 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powerhead HPhidrifting Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 01-15-2010 07:06 PM
Powerhead? JerseyBird97 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 22 11-21-2009 11:25 AM
My new powerhead GOURAMIKEEPER83 Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 14 10-06-2009 08:38 AM
Powerhead help mikedelo Saltwater Aquarium Equipment 3 01-28-2009 04:00 AM
powerhead? steverothery Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 4 08-26-2007 05:29 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome