02-15-2007, 08:32 AM
| || |
What the heck? Nitrites??
This is all my fault, and I know it. What to do?
I had a 3 gallon that was completely cycled. I upgraded to a 12 gallon 2 weeks ago, using all of the substrate, some of the filter media, and even the water from the 3 gallon. I had the same fish. Everything was fine, until 3 days later I had the bright idea of adding more fish. I added too many at once and now I have nitrites. It's very low at .25, (0 amm >5 nitrates, which is the nitrate reading I always had with my Eclipse tanks) and I am doing daily 2 gallon water changes to stop it from getting too high.
I have a recent very small outbreak of green algae (light on too long) and one live plant which I'm beginning to think could be using up the nitrates.
I'm so confused! Should I add an algae eating fish (oto?), remove the live plant, or leave as is and keep changing water daily forever? LOL Opinions please! Thank you!