Here's what happened over the past few days, I started out with a bunch wood and a ugly tank that had hoods I didn't like at all (and they I didn't find sufficient).
I started by building pretty much a box fitting tight around the top of the tank, which then got stained on the outside and heavy duty water proof white paint on the inside. The actual lid that goes on top is done as well (just not yet screwed together).
The Stand is pretty much a super simple DYI shelf which I routed the edges and gave a clear coat just to protect the wood from any water that may drip while I work on the tank.
Last but not least a picture of the "new tank" and its stand.
A carpenter will prop turn green now and see all kinds mistakes I made, but I think for never ever having built nothing before and not having used the kinda power tools needed here before, I think I done a pretty ok'ish job on it all so far.
Oh yea and my pump arrived yesterday as well (Eheim 2213, my fav).