What do you think of my stock? - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » What do you think of my stock?

What do you think of my stock?

This is a discussion on What do you think of my stock? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by hunterg17 I can honestly say they are fine. They are always out chasing eachother around and going in and out of ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Leopold Angelfish
Leopold Angelfish
Red Phantom Tetra
Red Phantom Tetra
Like Tree25Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
What do you think of my stock?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #11
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterg17 View Post
I can honestly say they are fine. They are always out chasing eachother around and going in and out of the driftwood there is no way they could be any better i am not ignoring anything.
You cannot say they are fine just because they are always out and chasing each other. This shows me very clearly you do not understand their behavior.

Loaches like Histrionica, Rostrata, Almorhae, and Clown Loaches all share something very in common (Yoyos are Almorhae). They are highly social species of fish. This does not mean that they can be social. It means that the need to be social, as this is part of their nature.

The "Chasing each other around" is a behavior they do because they establish something called a social hierarchy. It is common to see them challenge each other in the form of chasing, posturing, spinning in circles, and fading their colors to gray. At first this behavior is harmless and innocent. In a proper shoal size no one fish is being picked on too much. Even when a fish knows it is in charge, it will still chase and challenge other fish as if to ensure they know who is in charge.

My Yoyo shoal has one big fat one in particular who is constantly in struggle with a second slightly smaller yoyo. They often pick on each other over dominance but usually the fat one wins. Then he turns around and chases the other Yoyos, and the smaller Rostata and Histrionica as well.

I have seen the smaller of those two Yoyo attempt to go up against the two big Histrionica and they promptly put him in his place! I've seen those two big things push the little young Histrionica around even though they are a fraction of their size and hardly able to put up competition.

From what I can see the yoyo are not the same in behavior when compared to the Kuhlis. I have seen videos where people keep a few yoyos with Kuhlis and the behavior of the yoyo are not desirable. The either hide and refuse to come out, or are gigantic bullies to everything in the tank.

You want to keep fish, you need to keep them in proper conditions and groups. Save yourself a big headache and make those animals happy. Either find them someone who will give the a proper size group (or take them back to the store) or bring home 3 more yoyo's to give them a proper shoal.
Byron, djembekah and jentralala like this.
Sanguinefox is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanguinefox For This Useful Post:
Byron (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #12
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterg17 View Post
I can honestly say they are fine. They are always out chasing eachother around and going in and out of the driftwood there is no way they could be any better i am not ignoring anything.
You don't know what you don't know.
jaysee is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
 
I Strongly disagree with you people. My loaches are happy the way they and i also say this because i did have more in the tank and they didn't get along for all your information so you can just keep it to yourself. I am right just deal with it.

Just because some internet pages say you must do this, does not make it right. I know what i know. You do not see my fish acting. And to everyone saying i dont know that they are happy. Lol yes i do its my fish tank and i know how it all works together and it is not hard to tell when a certain fish is stressed/not happy.

I have been told to not do things many times because people read it on the internet but try it yourself for once and you might get a different answer.
hunterg17 is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
 
jentralala's Avatar
 
Wow. Seriously?

The people giving you advice have been working with fish for decades, researching them, asking experts, even going to their native habitats to see how these fish behave in the wild. And you're saying YOU'RE right? You've had your tank less than a year, with most likely no prior experience. If you don't want to listen to advice from people who have been doing this longer than you've been alive and with success, then why are you even asking advice?

Fish cannot change who they are, or what they need. We offer them as much as we can but even then that is minimal compared to what they would have in the wild. Our schooling fish cannot even compare to the groups of thousands in the wild.

Fish behavior is not so black and white as 'happy' and 'sad'. They ARE complex creatures, with many different behaviors and needs. You can't take that away from them or change them.
Byron likes this.
jentralala is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
Wow. Seriously?

The people giving you advice have been working with fish for decades, researching them, asking experts, even going to their native habitats to see how these fish behave in the wild. And you're saying YOU'RE right? You've had your tank less than a year, with most likely no prior experience. If you don't want to listen to advice from people who have been doing this longer than you've been alive and with success, then why are you even asking advice?

Fish cannot change who they are, or what they need. We offer them as much as we can but even then that is minimal compared to what they would have in the wild. Our schooling fish cannot even compare to the groups of thousands in the wild.

Fish behavior is not so black and white as 'happy' and 'sad'. They ARE complex creatures, with many different behaviors and needs. You can't take that away from them or change them.

Yes i know i am for a fact. I know my fish it doesnt take years to understand things i am a person who does a lot of research and believe me i have, but reading does not get you anywhere compared to actually trying-seeing-doing. You all say they need more friends as loaches, well there was 3 others in there and they completely seperated and the one group stayed as far away as they could from the others and were unhappy, didnt eat,lost all colour.got thin.....So i am saying you can keep your opinions to yourself because your wrong and just waisting your time. thanks

I asked about pearl gouramis, didnt ask if i had enough loaches because i know the answer to that question. There is some very helpful people on here. Then theres others who think they know absolutely everything, and think just because something did not work for them it never will with anyone else. And that is plain wrong you cannot argue with that
hunterg17 is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM   #16
 
Byron's Avatar
 
No one who has only one year of experience keeping tropical fish can possibly have the level of understanding and knowledge you think you have. I'm sorry, but that simply defies logic. I have been maintaining fish for over 20 years and I am still learning.

The scientific knowledge of each fish species is something that has evolved over decades of observation and study by ichthyologists. The data in our profiles is not my opinion, it is scientific fact. Each of us is free to accept it or not; unfortunately, the fish are dependant upon their keeper.

Fish have needs, and those needs must be accomodated in the aquarium if the fish are to be in their best health.
Byron is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
 
All my fish are in great health and everything in my tank is happy as can be if your saying it takes years to make that happen i would disagree, I have read lots of information and talked to lots of people I have done all I have can and I am gettin my tank right were I want it . I just don't understand how you people think its impossible to have 2 completely healthy happy loaches...I had more and it did not work as I already said.
Posted via Mobile Device
hunterg17 is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterg17 View Post
All my fish are in great health and everything in my tank is happy as can be if your saying it takes years to make that happen i would disagree, I have read lots of information and talked to lots of people I have done all I have can and I am gettin my tank right were I want it . I just don't understand how you people think its impossible to have 2 completely healthy happy loaches...I had more and it did not work as I already said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pardon me for pointing this out. You say you have read lots of information, but you also tell other people who have also read information that...essentially they don't know anything. You imply that what the read isn't right, or that everything you read isn't always right.

Now I am curious, you say "It did not work". Could you explain in further detail what happened that led you to this conclusion?
Sanguinefox is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
 
jaysee's Avatar
 
Hahaha, you'll take my advice on the pearl gouramis but not the loaches. Good advice isn't always what you want to hear....

Hey, it's your tank - you're the one that has to look at it every day. I couldnt care less what you do with it. Next time, you should be more specific with your thread. "What do you think about my stocking" is an open invitation for people to...... Tell you what they think. If you don't want to know, then don't ask, or at least don't phrase it that way. I honestly don't know what you expected to hear.
jaysee is offline  
Old 03-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #20
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinefox View Post
Pardon me for pointing this out. You say you have read lots of information, but you also tell other people who have also read information that...essentially they don't know anything. You imply that what the read isn't right, or that everything you read isn't always right.

Now I am curious, you say "It did not work". Could you explain in further detail what happened that led you to this conclusion?
Actually if you took the time and read what i said you would understand it. Like i said trial and error is a lot better then just reading something and sticking with that. Just because someone does something that doesnt work that does not it mean it wiil never work.

I am not even going to bother explaining the loaches anymore so dont worry about it.
hunterg17 is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what can i stock this with? Assault0137 Ponds and Waterfalls 9 08-25-2012 05:19 PM
Help me stock! Myrtaceae Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 12 01-26-2012 10:54 AM
How should I stock a 14G Hex? CrankyFish84 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 11-06-2010 02:26 AM
Help me stock a 30g Hex! Charger1969 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 5 08-21-2008 08:01 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 AM.