Here is the setting:
10g freshwater tank.
Whisper power filter 10.
Tank established one week ago today.
Did about a 30% water change on Monday. Water has been and is presently crystal clear, looks good enough to drink.
Wednesday, about 30 minutes after I fed the fish, I did a liquid water test with API's kit and got about .5ppm ammonia to show up. I attributed this to testing the water shortly after feeding.
Thursday, (without thinking) I pulled the filter cartridge out to check it and noticed that some particles spilled out into the water when I did so. Not much. I slid the cartridge back in and again about 30 minutes later I did an ammonia test. This time it showed up at 1ppm.
Was is it due to the pulling of the cartridge letting junk in the water. If not I don't understand how my ammonia can be so high when I just did a change three days ago.
The fish all look fine. They don't look sick. They are alert and eating and swimming about, especially the yo yo loach (active little critter).
I just find it odd that in an esablished tank that I would begin to get ammonia readings only 3 days after a water change. You should start getting first signs of ammonia at day 5 with a water change coming every 5-7 days.
What's going on?