Originally Posted by Rue
We live on an acerage. Our well water is potable...but has issues...one being the high tannin levels...
The fish are likely fine with the tannins...but I don't like the yellow water!
...I've noticed that chlorine precipitates the tannins out of the water (when I clean toilets...
We had well water for many years, and through much research, and trial and error, we learned that our yellowish water that was really made yellow bleach was actually iron bacteria. When I put a bleach tab in the toilet thinking it would help, overnight you could actually see the how the bacteria started to coagulate in the water. I used to take bleach load of laundry to my moms house because we couldn't use bleach.
Have you ever had your well tested? The only thing we had that would actually improve the iron was a very large and very expensive 3 stage chlorinator/softener/filtration system that had a final tank with carbon.
I'm not sure how high iron or the filtration would affect fish though. We didn't have an aquarium at the time (everything that water touched got stained), and we have since moved and have city water. I can tell you anything you need to know about well water and well treatments though! :)