water/stocking question
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » water/stocking question

water/stocking question

This is a discussion on water/stocking question within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> i have a 20g w 3 platys.(newbie checklist item 1). i had been testing with strips and determined my tap water was 0 hardness. ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Oscar
Oscar
Oto Catfish
Oto Catfish
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
water/stocking question
Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
water/stocking question

i have a 20g w 3 platys.(newbie checklist item 1). i had been testing with strips and determined my tap water was 0 hardness. i started driving to the next town for hard tap water and mixing it with r/o water 50/50. im not sure why i mixed , i think it was high ammonia in the tap. now i have a tetra laborett kit and have retested my tap water. it is gh-3, kh-3, nitrite-0, ph-8.0, ammonia 1.5 mg/l. the ammonia sounds high but i know a well cycled tank with goldfish using this water that always tests 0 ammonia.(my 20g is only 5 weeks so i still make the drive). question 1 is once my 20g is established, can i use my tap for the platys safely? question 2 is, even if i cant use it for platys, im soon getting a 50g and want to use my tap. what fish will live comfortably in my tap water?
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
i have a 20g w 3 platys.(newbie checklist item 1). i had been testing with strips and determined my tap water was 0 hardness. i started driving to the next town for hard tap water and mixing it with r/o water 50/50. im not sure why i mixed , i think it was high ammonia in the tap. now i have a tetra laborett kit and have retested my tap water. it is gh-3, kh-3, nitrite-0, ph-8.0, ammonia 1.5 mg/l. the ammonia sounds high but i know a well cycled tank with goldfish using this water that always tests 0 ammonia.(my 20g is only 5 weeks so i still make the drive). question 1 is once my 20g is established, can i use my tap for the platys safely? question 2 is, even if i cant use it for platys, im soon getting a 50g and want to use my tap. what fish will live comfortably in my tap water?
If the tap water really is very soft (zero hardness you say) then no, you cannot keep livebearers (platy, and others) in it. These fish must have some mineral in the water or they will be highly stressed and succumb to various health issues.

I would confirm the tap water hardness with the water supply folks to be certain. And if it is, there are fairly easy ways to deal with this. Using a substrate of crushed coral and aragonite sand is the cheapest.

Alternatively, if the tap water again is very soft, consider soft water fish. The pH will easily lower in very soft water with so little buffering (the KH), and that opens up all the tetra, rasbora, etc. as suitable fish.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
If the tap water really is very soft (zero hardness you say) then no, you cannot keep livebearers (platy, and others) in it. These fish must have some mineral in the water or they will be highly stressed and succumb to various health issues.

I would confirm the tap water hardness with the water supply folks to be certain. And if it is, there are fairly easy ways to deal with this. Using a substrate of crushed coral and aragonite sand is the cheapest.

Alternatively, if the tap water again is very soft, consider soft water fish. The pH will easily lower in very soft water with so little buffering (the KH), and that opens up all the tetra, rasbora, etc. as suitable fish.
in my above post the water params are my actual tap water params with the good test kit. i just dont really know what it means and what fish are ideal for it. is the ammonia as bad as it sounds? thanks byron ps ive been driving to next town for harder platy water

Last edited by marshallsea; 06-01-2012 at 08:15 PM..
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsea View Post
in my above post the water params are my actual tap water params with the good test kit. i just dont really know what it means and what fish are ideal for it. is the ammonia as bad as it sounds? thanks byron ps ive been driving to next town for harder platy water
On the ammonia, if this is in the tap water, it can be handled by having lots of live plants, and using a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. These usually work by converting ammonia to ammonium, and the plants will easily deal with this after a couple days. This is not a problem once you know it and deal with it.

The GH I would confirm, either with a reliable fish store, or the water supply people. If it really is soft, then you have two options. Soft water fish will be fine; tetra, rasbora, many catfish, anabantids, dwarf cichlids, cyprinids...the list is limitless. Just avoid livebearers; but if you decide on these, a bag of crushed coral/aragonite sand for the substrate will raise the GH and corresponding pH for livebearers. I have used CarribSea's, but there are several products.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:
marshallsea (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
 
marshallsea's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
On the ammonia, if this is in the tap water, it can be handled by having lots of live plants, and using a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia. These usually work by converting ammonia to ammonium, and the plants will easily deal with this after a couple days. This is not a problem once you know it and deal with it.

The GH I would confirm, either with a reliable fish store, or the water supply people. If it really is soft, then you have two options. Soft water fish will be fine; tetra, rasbora, many catfish, anabantids, dwarf cichlids, cyprinids...the list is limitless. Just avoid livebearers; but if you decide on these, a bag of crushed coral/aragonite sand for the substrate will raise the GH and corresponding pH for livebearers. I have used CarribSea's, but there are several products.
thank you
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yet another stocking question :D diablo13 Freshwater and Tropical Fish 7 01-24-2012 08:54 PM
10 gal w/ hard water stocking KendraMc Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 10-05-2011 04:56 AM
water question deoinized water vs distilled water jaysix79 Saltwater Fish 13 02-08-2010 02:42 AM
Water change frequency and stocking question pillar Freshwater and Tropical Fish 7 08-24-2009 07:30 AM
Stocking Question masonw1 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 1 02-01-2007 02:46 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.