08-26-2012, 02:43 PM
| || |
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad
First, your one test is inaccurate - there is no way a partial water change will reduce 80ppm nitrates to zero.
It appears (as already mentioned) that the nitrosomonas bacteria colony processing ammonia into nitrites is well under way, but the nitrobacter colony to convert nitrites into nitrates has yet to form.
Just continue to be patient. Be sure to keep adding a slight ammonia source and continue water changes to keep nitrites and nitrates low. Nitrites are very toxic...even to nitrobacter bacteria. the colony development will be inhibitted if levels are not kept low.
i must of had a bad test on it..its about 35ppm