ok so i just heard that in the past month the water dept. here has changed something and is now adding a very large amount of chlorine to our water. i heard this from a friend who owns a local mom and pop pet store. it is bad enough that she actually bought some kind of filtration system just to remove the chlorine.
so my questions are.
1. is there a way to test water to see how much chlorine is in it?
2. i use a dechlorinater but if it is this high should i up the dose a little to compensate?
3. the fish in my tank seem fine with what ive been doing but i still havent seen any improvement of ammonia/nitrites could this be killing the bacteria that im trying to grow?
4. should i maybe dose the tank with dechlorinater to ensure that the chlorine is gone?
5. my PH is stable at 8 and my water overnight tests at 7.5. i know ph is not normally worried about unless you have a fish that needs a special range but i thought it might be helpful. at work i can get reverse osmosis water at a reasonable price should i maybe be using this instead for my water changes?
i am using NovAqua + water conditioner and it says on there that you cant really overdose the stuff. "Dosage can be increased or repeated without adverse affects."
as always you guys rock and any help/advice/personal experiences are greatly appreciated.