water evaporation?
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » water evaporation?

water evaporation?

This is a discussion on water evaporation? within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Okay this might be a stupid question but how important is it to have water evaporation in an aquarium? The way I have my ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Filament Barb
Filament Barb
Tinfoil Barb
Tinfoil Barb
Reply
Old 04-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
water evaporation?

Okay this might be a stupid question but how important is it to have water evaporation in an aquarium? The way I have my lid I have very little if any because of how tight it is. Is this a problem?
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
That should not be a problem as long as you are doing enough water changes to keep up with your water quality needs. Lack of evaporation is actually a good thing. The process of evaporation can jump ammonia, nitrite, and especially nitrate levels all over the place. Water evaporates, waste levels do not, thus the waste becomes concentrated in the water. This is why water changes require removal of water before adding clean water... and why topping off a tank from evaporation can make problems worse (or create problems to begin with).
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
Forgot to add... just be sure there is some kind of circulation/ventilation at the water's surface for proper gas exchange (O2, CO2, etc).
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy View Post
Forgot to add... just be sure there is some kind of circulation/ventilation at the water's surface for proper gas exchange (O2, CO2, etc).
There is a gap between the water and the lid. I do have two holes cut in the plexiglass so the wires and hoses for the heater and filter to go in. So there should be some ventilation there I would think. Most of the the plexiglass is covered with condensation though.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy View Post
That should not be a problem as long as you are doing enough water changes to keep up with your water quality needs. Lack of evaporation is actually a good thing. The process of evaporation can jump ammonia, nitrite, and especially nitrate levels all over the place. Water evaporates, waste levels do not, thus the waste becomes concentrated in the water. This is why water changes require removal of water before adding clean water... and why topping off a tank from evaporation can make problems worse (or create problems to begin with).

Thanks for that explanation on that!!
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #6
 
bettababy's Avatar
 
You're welcome. Also, remember... the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettababy View Post
You're welcome. Also, remember... the only "stupid question" is the one that isn't asked.
Okay thanks
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #8
 
Byron's Avatar
 
My only comment is that my tanks have run for years just as you have described. I have glass covers on the larger and the normal hoods on the smaller, and these are not airtight so there is more air circulation than you might think. But in the morning the glass and hoods are covered with water that has condensed from the tank, since the water is warmer than the air, and it drips off heavily. On the morning I do the water change the amount of water than can run off one piece of glass is quite remarkable. Once the lights come on it obviously evaporates faster until the glass under the lights is dry. If your water is hard, the whitish deposit left on the glass will be the minerals, and that needs to be cleaned off weekly during the water change; even a very thin "haze" will significantly block light penetration.

Aside from the tank issues Dawn mentioned, having all that water getting directly into the room is not good for the house. Just like in a bathroom after a shower. Water condensing on the walls and ceiling will penetrate the surfaces. Best to limit that, and a good fitting hood/cover on the tank does.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #9
 
Boredomb's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
My only comment is that my tanks have run for years just as you have described. I have glass covers on the larger and the normal hoods on the smaller, and these are not airtight so there is more air circulation than you might think. But in the morning the glass and hoods are covered with water that has condensed from the tank, since the water is warmer than the air, and it drips off heavily. On the morning I do the water change the amount of water than can run off one piece of glass is quite remarkable. Once the lights come on it obviously evaporates faster until the glass under the lights is dry. If your water is hard, the whitish deposit left on the glass will be the minerals, and that needs to be cleaned off weekly during the water change; even a very thin "haze" will significantly block light penetration.

Aside from the tank issues Dawn mentioned, having all that water getting directly into the room is not good for the house. Just like in a bathroom after a shower. Water condensing on the walls and ceiling will penetrate the surfaces. Best to limit that, and a good fitting hood/cover on the tank does.

Byron.
Thanks Byron, It does leave a white haze on the lid I didn't put much thought in it being minerals and needed to wiped clean. I will start doing that with water changes.
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
Thanks Byron, It does leave a white haze on the lid I didn't put much thought in it being minerals and needed to wiped clean. I will start doing that with water changes.
Doing it weekly will be easier. The longer it stays, the harder it is to remove. I have very soft water, so there is minimal mineral deposits on my glass, but it still occurs. I "wash" the glass with paper towels, using the water on the glass, then buff them dry with a cloth towel. If the mineral deposit is stubborn, vinegar can be used in the water to wash it off, then dry it completely.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water evaporation uksub Beginner Saltwater Aquariums 4 02-05-2009 10:52 PM
strange water evaporation issues? miagrrl Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 12-29-2007 01:29 PM
water evaporation going crazy serpaekeeper45 Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 7 11-11-2007 02:21 PM
How do you deal with water evaporation? paintsforyou Tropical Fish Diseases 11 02-11-2007 01:19 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.