Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators

Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators

This is a discussion on Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> I found an interesting" Review of Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators" that will be useful to everyone. It covers the major brands. Click this link: ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Pygmy Hatchetfish
Pygmy Hatchetfish
Mosquito Rasbora
Mosquito Rasbora
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools vBmenu Seperating Image Search this Thread vBmenu Seperating Image
Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators
Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators

I found an interesting" Review of Water Conditioners & Dechlorinators" that will be useful to everyone. It covers the major brands. Click this link: Product review of Water Conditioners / Dechlorinators for the aquarium
Due to this article, I will change to another brand.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjordan390 For This Useful Post:
fish monger (12-19-2012)
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
 
While all those are interesting, I use none of them and recommend none of them. At least for normal aquarium operation.

I have found out that by starting an aquarium planted and letting it set for a week, conditions the water better then any chemical additive.


my .02
beaslbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
 
Thoth's Avatar
 
Seachem Prime... winner, winner, chicken dinner! I have been using this for as long as I remember.
Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
 
Thoth's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob View Post
While all those are interesting, I use none of them and recommend none of them. At least for normal aquarium operation.

I have found out that by starting an aquarium planted and letting it set for a week, conditions the water better then any chemical additive.


my .02

While I agree, in the case of using a product to remove chlorine I make the exception; dont have the room to sit 100+ gallons of water. My wife has her own tanks and still uses pH buffer, ups, downs and the like. Her water chemistry is a mess. I use the tap and go with it; soft neutral pH water out of the tap and has been consistent for years.

Last edited by Thoth; 12-19-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Thoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
 
Byron's Avatar
 
One should use the conditioner that deals just with the issues in the source water (tap water or well water) and try to limit any additional components. In my case, chlorine is all I need to deal with, so I made a somewhat similar list for myself when looking for a different conditioner.

Byron.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
Do you have chlorine or chloramines in your tap water? How do you avoid shocking your fish or plants?
The reason I posted the review is because the present product I use, detoxifys heavy metals at the low values normally found in tapwater. Now depending on the user, it can be a good thing or a bad thing. For those who use a product the does the same, may want to check the ingrediants on their fertilizers. A lot of these fertilizers contain heavy metals. So if a aquarist does a water change from the tap and then adds the dechlorinator that also detoxifys heavy metals, and then adds their fertilizer, then the fertilizer is compromised and will not provide the necessary nutrients as stated on the bottle.
One manufacturer advises to wait 24 hours minimum to 36 hours before adding any fertilizer when using their dechlorinator.
In my case, the available iron, potassium if any and other heavy metals use by plants thats in my tapwater, then I want to keep. So the Review will show which dechlorinators detoxify heavy metals and those that do not. So the aquarist has a choice under their individual circumstances.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan390 View Post
Do you have chlorine or chloramines in your tap water? How do you avoid shocking your fish or plants?
The reason I posted the review is because the present product I use, detoxifys heavy metals at the low values normally found in tapwater. Now depending on the user, it can be a good thing or a bad thing. For those who use a product the does the same, may want to check the ingrediants on their fertilizers. A lot of these fertilizers contain heavy metals. So if a aquarist does a water change from the tap and then adds the dechlorinator that also detoxifys heavy metals, and then adds their fertilizer, then the fertilizer is compromised and will not provide the necessary nutrients as stated on the bottle.
One manufacturer advises to wait 24 hours minimum to 36 hours before adding any fertilizer when using their dechlorinator.
In my case, the available iron, potassium if any and other heavy metals use by plants thats in my tapwater, then I want to keep. So the Review will show which dechlorinators detoxify heavy metals and those that do not. So the aquarist has a choice under their individual circumstances.
Thats correct.

To your fist set of questions, one of our members uses straight sodium thiosulphate to deal with chlorine. I could do the same, but I haven't yet tracked this down so I look for the least expensive conditioner that handles chlorine and as little else as possible. Right now I'm using Nutrafin AquaPlus. It also detoxifies heavy metals, so I dose those a day following. As for shocking the fish and plants, I've never had an issue with this. Some of my fish even swim into the current when the tap water is coming in straight from the tap.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
I guess that it all comes down to how each aquarist fills and doses their tank and the fertilizer schedule they have chosen and whether the Review would be helpful to them.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan390 View Post
I guess that it all comes down to how each aquarist fills and doses their tank and the fertilizer schedule they have chosen and whether the Review would be helpful to them.
There's nothing wrong with that review...hope I didn't suggest there was. My initial point was that one only needs a conditioner that handles the issues in one's water, which I think is the point the review was making too. So if you only have chlorine, there is no poiint using a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite, or whatever. This only adds unnecessary chemicals to the tank.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
 
rjordan390's Avatar
 
<So if you only have chlorine, there is no poiint using a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite, or whatever. This only adds unnecessary chemicals to the tank. >

Good point. I check that article again. I just have chlorine to deal with.
rjordan390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Conditioners - which to use FlashGuppy Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 9 06-23-2011 12:46 PM
regarding dechlorinators & conditioners 7yl4r Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 01-25-2010 01:03 PM
Anybody know what exactly is in water conditioners? cawnov Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 4 01-07-2010 08:53 AM
Tap Water Conditioners love_my_fish Freshwater Aquarium Equipment 7 01-13-2007 03:23 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.