Water changes - Page 2
Tropical Fish

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources » Freshwater Fish and Aquariums » Beginner Freshwater Aquarium » Water changes

Water changes

This is a discussion on Water changes within the Beginner Freshwater Aquarium forums, part of the Freshwater Fish and Aquariums category; --> Originally Posted by Byron Provided the wool doesn't bring something else with it. Live plants wold be your best choice, in this size tank ...

Check out these freshwater fish profiles
Blue Ram
Blue Ram
Oscar
Oscar
Reply
Old 04-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Provided the wool doesn't bring something else with it.

Live plants wold be your best choice, in this size tank some Echinodorus bleherae, and of course floating plants. Wouldn't have any ammonia or nitrite then.
Then adding fish would come a little sooner, correct? Yeah I'm hoping the wool is good to go. I'll be sure to grill the guy and make sure nothing foriegn is coming into my tank.

Also I plan to keep SA Cichlids, so I know these plants will not last down the road.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Then adding fish would come a little sooner, correct? Yeah I'm hoping the wool is good to go. I'll be sure to grill the guy and make sure nothing foriegn is coming into my tank.

Also I plan to keep SA Cichlids, so I know these plants will not last down the road.
Some floating plants are best, and in this case better. Water Sprite, Dwarf Water Lettuce; even some stem plants left floating, like Brazilian Pennywort (ideal for this), Green Cabomba, Wisteria. If you have a good chunk of floating plants, you could add fish (few though).
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
Some floating plants are best, and in this case better. Water Sprite, Dwarf Water Lettuce; even some stem plants left floating, like Brazilian Pennywort (ideal for this), Green Cabomba, Wisteria. If you have a good chunk of floating plants, you could add fish (few though).
So I'll be alright with the Java moss? I think the guy will be giving me a good chunck of it from his tank.
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #14
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
So I'll be alright with the Java moss? I think the guy will be giving me a good chunck of it from his tank.
No, that is not going tohelp much at all. Mosses are slow growing [though to see JM grow in my tanks one would question this] but they use little light and few nutrients. You want the plants I mentioned.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
No, that is not going tohelp much at all. Mosses are slow growing [though to see JM grow in my tanks one would question this] but they use little light and few nutrients. You want the plants I mentioned.
Ok then. I'll try to find some of the plants you mentioned, though I only have a petsmart close to me. Ill still go with the java moss to add a natural look to the tank, couldnt hurt right?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Ok then. I'll try to find some of the plants you mentioned, though I only have a petsmart close to me. Ill still go with the java moss to add a natural look to the tank, couldnt hurt right?
Fine. I like Java Moss, i let it grow on most of the wood and sometimes on rocks for a natural look. And when it grows thick, fish will spawn i it and fry can hide and find food in it. It is just a slow growing plant.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Received the moss and wool from the guy. Looked like typical media after its been in the filter for a while. I just placed the wool in the canister with the ceramic media. Hopefully that will kick start the cycling process.
Posted via Mobile Device
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Is there anything else I should do with the moss, or should I just leave it?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinBos View Post
Is there anything else I should do with the moss, or should I just leave it?
I usually attach it to wood or rock. Others have said it will grow over the substrate, and just floating, though the latter doesn't seem useful as this is a nice cover on wood and such.
Byron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
 
CinBos's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
I usually attach it to wood or rock. Others have said it will grow over the substrate, and just floating, though the latter doesn't seem useful as this is a nice cover on wood and such.
Sorry meant to say wool. Was it a good idea for me to place it in the canister with my ceramic media?
CinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water question deoinized water vs distilled water jaysix79 Saltwater Fish 13 02-08-2010 01:42 AM
Questions on my water conditions. Advice on water changes and liquid fertilizer saulat Beginner Planted Aquarium 13 07-05-2009 05:50 PM
White Cloudy Water + Dead Fish after water change HELP!!! eviltuna Tropical Fish Diseases 8 03-05-2008 12:03 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.