Warm Water Now or Cold Water Later? - Page 3 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 Old 11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
So, no conditioner. It worries me to not treat, but if yall say it's safe, then I'll give it a try after I go to PetSmart and get my tap tested for Nitrate.

My tests only go up to 7.8, so if they fluxuate when above that, I dont know. I do know it takes a MASSIVE pwc to lower it in range. I had a problem before with pH spikes thanks to a PetSmart employee selling me a large seashell as a hiding spot for my shrimp. I know I changed out the water, but I dont remember if I rinsed that gravel. It was 2lb and I added it in with the new gravel when I upgraded to the 10gal.
Posted via Mobile Device
The tap water pH is in the low to mid 6 range, so you should work within that for fish [= soft water fish]. Remove from the aquarium whatever is raising the GH and pH as previously mentioned. Water changes will then be no problem.

Yes, nitrate is important. You should get yourself the API nitrate test kit. Or a better buy is the Master Combo that includes pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. These are all the tests you need long-term.

Byron.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 36 Old 11-16-2012, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Bluewind's Avatar
 
Also, I'm hoping I get lucky and have a cycled tank by Black Friday as PetSmart is going to have a big sale then. I would really like 3 more Juliis, but they are $6.50 each here! I have no debit/credit card of my own, so I'm pretty sure online is out. Any clue how I could get them for less? I would have to also burn $16 in gas to go to PetSmart, which is part of the reason I am looking for alternitives.

Edit: I saw the master kit! I wanted to order it, but can't! PetSmart has it, but wants WAY more for it.

I am going to scoop out some gravel today and put it in a cup for a few hours just to be sure its not spiking my pH. I have some glass jars in there too, but I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be doing it.

If all else fails, I will find a way to text the filter itself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 11-16-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Bluewind is offline  
post #23 of 36 Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Bluewind's Avatar
 
Honestly, I'm at a loss! I took out the decor (except glass jars), a gravel sample, and the filter and soaked each in a separate bowl for a couple hours. All the water but the one the ceramic orniment was in tested fine! The orniment gave me a 6.4 after sitting 10 hours, but I dont know how much was it and how much was the water.

I don't know if the spiking had anything to do with leftover calcium from the seashell. I gave all the gravel a crazy thorough cleaning just in case. Now to cross my fingers :(

Also bought some of those little cheap hybrid bulbs from WalMart. I'm hoping at least 1 of the 5 sprouts and gives me a plant to add to my water and help out my tank. I know they are the ones everyone call "mystory" or "hit-or-miss" but as I live in a small town, I don't have much of a choice. I hope the eventually add a water sprite and an anubis (spelling?), but for right now, this will have to do. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 11-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Bluewind is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 11-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Honestly, I'm at a loss! I took out the decor (except glass jars), a gravel sample, and the filter and soaked each in a separate bowl for a couple hours. All the water but the one the ceramic orniment was in tested fine! The orniment gave me a 6.4 after sitting 10 hours, but I dont know how much was it and how much was the water.

I don't know if the spiking had anything to do with leftover calcium from the seashell. I gave all the gravel a crazy thorough cleaning just in case. Now to cross my fingers :(

Also bought some of those little cheap hybrid bulbs from WalMart. I'm hoping at least 1 of the 5 sprouts and gives me a plant to add to my water and help out my tank. I know they are the ones everyone call "mystory" or "hit-or-miss" but as I live in a small town, I don't have much of a choice. I hope the eventually add a water sprite and an anubis (spelling?), but for right now, this will have to do. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
It may well have been just the shell. A few good water changes should get the pH stable.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #25 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Bluewind's Avatar
 
After a crazy amount of water changes and gravel cleaning, my tank pH is going down. Only problem is that all that gravel cleaning and filter rinsing set my cycling back! Looks like I'm back to square one. The gravel was clean to a fault. I feed the bottom feeders in a glass dish to make for easy cleaning when their time is up. And today my Amonia had spiked up to nearly 1!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Member
 
all I did is run a commonly used cold faucet for 1/2 minute to a minute, fill a container, and pour it into my tanks both Freshwater and marine.

I also just top off. Which limits the temperature change.

And my tanks were planted including the marine system (with macro algaes)

The idea of using the commonly used cold faucet is to limit the copper in the water. (from the water heater and even the pipes also).

my .02

maintain Fw and marine system with a strong emphasis on balanced, stabilized system that as much as possible are self substaning.

have maintained FW systems for up to 9 years with descendants from original fish and marine aquariums for up to 8 years.

With no water changes, untreated tap water, inexpensive lighting by first starting the tank with live plants (FW) or macro algae( marine)

see: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/a...-build-295530/
beaslbob is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
After a crazy amount of water changes and gravel cleaning, my tank pH is going down. Only problem is that all that gravel cleaning and filter rinsing set my cycling back! Looks like I'm back to square one. The gravel was clean to a fault. I feed the bottom feeders in a glass dish to make for easy cleaning when their time is up. And today my Amonia had spiked up to nearly 1!
Posted via Mobile Device
I read back through this thread. There was no mention of ammonia issues previously. Cleaning the substrate and doing water changes willnot cause ammonia to spike. Cleaning the filter shouldn't either, unless this is a new tank with no live plants.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #28 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Bluewind's Avatar
 
Sorry. It is a fairly new tank. Only 2 weeks! Substrate is from my old 2gal that had just gotten cycled when I got then new tank and had to switch everyone over. I didnt suction the gravel, I acturally removed and cleaned it in freshly treated water. Did the same to the filter. It was the only way I was able to remove all the left over calcium dust. I had finally got my Amonia to the point that I only had to do a ptw every other day. Now, I have to go back up to daily again
Posted via Mobile Device
Bluewind is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Member
 
Byron's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewind View Post
Sorry. It is a fairly new tank. Only 2 weeks! Substrate is from my old 2gal that had just gotten cycled when I got then new tank and had to switch everyone over. I didnt suction the gravel, I acturally removed and cleaned it in freshly treated water. Did the same to the filter. It was the only way I was able to remove all the left over calcium dust. I had finally got my Amonia to the point that I only had to do a ptw every other day. Now, I have to go back up to daily again
Posted via Mobile Device
Are there plants? Some fast growing stem plants or especially floating plants will handle the ammonia instantly.

Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
Vancouver, BC, Canada

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian. [unknown source]

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]
Byron is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 11-21-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Bluewind's Avatar
 
Sorry. It is a fairly new tank. Only 2 weeks! Substrate is from my old 2gal that had just gotten cycled when I got then new tank and had to switch everyone over. I didnt suction the gravel, I acturally removed and cleaned it in freshly treated water. Did the same to the filter. It was the only way I was able to remove all the left over calcium dust. I had finally got my Amonia to the point that I only had to do a ptw every other day. Now, I have to go back up to daily again

Also, the highest Amonia spike I have ever had was a 2 and that's because I was sick. I had small spikes up to 1 occasionally.

Edit: Oh! Only plant I have atm is my Marimo Ball. I will be getting anubias Thursday. And eventually I will have some plants from those harty walmart bulbs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 11-21-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Bluewind is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water too warm. What best to do? jcngo Beginner Freshwater Aquarium 3 05-29-2012 05:55 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome