01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
| || |
Originally Posted by VerdantGrotto
I was once warned about using Mopani, Manzanite and another type of wood (can't seem to remember right now) because they could develop a fungus...
I believe this might be occuring right now. I have a nice piece of Mopani that has been in my 55G for a little less than a month. I was reluctant to place it in the tank but couldn't help it because the appearance really brought the tankscape together. I have been watching for this and fearing it would strike at any moment... and guess what.
I would post a pic right now but the Mrs. is getting our little one off to bed at the moment. I hope this isn't something that is going to wipe out my fish tonight. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow morning. That being said, I will take the driftwood out of the tank (making sure that no hitch-hikers tag along) and scrubbing the affected areas. I also planned on boiling the wood in case it is some sort of bacterial growth. It actually looks like the fuzz one would see on an Old loaf of bread except that it isn't as white (more like a very light tan white)
There are many types of fungus; some are toxic, some are not. It is impossible to say if this fungus is or isn't dangerous without a microbiologist examining it under a microscope. All you can do, if you leave the wood in the water, is observe very carefully.
If the water begins to get cloudy, get rid of the wood. If fish begin to respire faster, become lethargic, or remain closer to the surface or gasp, get rid of it. And do a major water change, 3/4 of the tank.
I had toxic fungus from a branch of what I believe was Manzanita wood, though it might have been grapewood. I almost lost my fish. And I know of others who did. Corys seem to show symptoms first, not surprising when one realizes how sensitive they are to water conditions and any substances.