venustus female holding eggs - Page 2 - Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtcobra22 View Post
she looks to be about 3 and a half 4 inches
are you sure she is holding? Thats awfully small for a hap especially a venustus to be holding. They generally don't sexually mature till about 12months and these are on average 10inch fish when grown.
Can you get a good picture of her mouth? Has she been refusing to eat?
Agent13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
are you sure she is holding? Thats awfully small for a hap especially a venustus to be holding. They generally don't sexually mature till about 12months and these are on average 10inch fish when grown.
Can you get a good picture of her mouth? Has she been refusing to eat?

i cant really get a good picture of her mouth but she is deff holding for sure. i can c the eggs in her mouth
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #13 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
i was just thinking what about getting a tank divider for my 55 gallon? ive herd that they work really well
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #14 of 29 Old 11-02-2013, 07:09 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtcobra22 View Post
i was just thinking what about getting a tank divider for my 55 gallon? ive herd that they work really well
Is the 55 your main tank? the one she is from and where she got naughty Halloween night . If so it depends on the current stock if they will not be to angry by losing space. The problem mainly I'd see with that is how long will it take these 25-50 fry to get of size? IDK how to help .. think I'm stalled out of ideas. Maybe a DIY breeder net that is much bigger? I really don't see any good ones online.
You can look on craigslist for a 10 or 20g and that would be a much better option. Sponge filters are cheap..
Agent13 is offline  
post #15 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
Is the 55 your main tank? the one she is from and where she got naughty Halloween night . If so it depends on the current stock if they will not be to angry by losing space. The problem mainly I'd see with that is how long will it take these 25-50 fry to get of size? IDK how to help .. think I'm stalled out of ideas. Maybe a DIY breeder net that is much bigger? I really don't see any good ones online.
You can look on craigslist for a 10 or 20g and that would be a much better option. Sponge filters are cheap..
yea the 55 is my main tank. im gonna go to my lfs and get a 10 gallon tank i did find a filter that i had when i had my 15 gallon tank so i am going to use that with a sponge over the filter tube. hopefully i will post a pic of it today.
Agent13 likes this.
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #16 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
well i got the tank all setup the good bacteria is in there thanks to fluvals new product called the biological enhancer. i got the tank temp at the same temp as my main tank. did a water test and everything was spot on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1385695_10153432422395788_1128494354_n.jpg (44.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1394413_10153433665875788_1252992346_n.jpg (50.9 KB, 10 views)
Chesh likes this.
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #17 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
here is the male peacock that mated with the venustus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1185309_10153173029835788_446855285_n.jpg (40.9 KB, 11 views)
Chesh and Agent13 like this.
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #18 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Much better! She should be much more comfortable in there! You should take a marker and write the spawn date on the tank.so you can be on the lookout within about 14-21 days after that date.
And oopsies, I think I may be wrong on theclutch size she can hold. Can be up to 120. But at her small size I do't think it's that high but still will be a lot.
Chesh likes this.
Agent13 is offline  
post #19 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
svtcobra22's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent13 View Post
Much better! She should be much more comfortable in there! You should take a marker and write the spawn date on the tank.so you can be on the lookout within about 14-21 days after that date.
And oopsies, I think I may be wrong on theclutch size she can hold. Can be up to 120. But at her small size I do't think it's that high but still will be a lot.
i marked the date on my calendar. she seems really comfortable in there and she actually likes the tank cuz now she can relax. wow 120 thats a lot.
Agent13 likes this.
svtcobra22 is offline  
post #20 of 29 Old 11-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Reference Team
 
Agent13's Avatar
 
Great! and don't rush her out of there after her fry are free swimming. Feed her for a bit so she can regain strength to not get bullied in the main tank. Poor girl has to pretty much fast this whole time with a mouth full of babies.
Agent13 is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my Red Zebra holding eggs? Brandonl87 Cichlids 10 08-15-2012 01:32 PM
2 mbuna Cichlids Holding Eggs MrMarc Cichlids 17 08-03-2012 03:28 PM
Holding female not spitting out? catdawg426 Cichlids 2 02-14-2011 11:29 PM
What is this on my Venustus lisab Tropical Fish Diseases 7 08-27-2007 12:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome